Presenting the "Penalty Box"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Black wallnut, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Black wallnut

Black wallnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    Based on what I have read on this site I built over the weekend a box to cure one of my hens from being broody. The below box has a built-in mini feeder and a 1/4" hardware cloth bottom, plywood sides and lid. for water I placed a chick quart sized waterer inside. I'll let you know how it works out for me.

[​IMG]

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    This is from the chicken chick-THE BROODY BREAKERTo break a broodies, I use a proven and reliable method consisting of a wire-bottomed cage placed in a well-lit location. As soon as a broody is identified, she goes into the Broody Breaker. A rabbit hutch serves this purpose perfectly. The wire bottomed cage allows cooler air to circulate under the hen, cooling off her belly/breast.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Since my Broody Breaker was occupied with adolescent chicks,
    this broody had been sitting for several days & will take more than a week to break.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Broody Breaker is Rachel's second home. Cochins are
    well known for their propensity for broodiness.​
    I think your unit will make them remain broody....it looks dark and warm. To discourage broody they need bright light and cool air, away from a nest.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  3. Black wallnut

Black wallnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    Thanks for the reply Top Knot. For what it is worth the box worked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by