Preserving hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carniven, Mar 17, 2009.

1. carniven

carniven Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Cape Cod
    Hi,
    I ordered hatching eggs and an incubator from two separate sources. Not sure which is coming first, and I don't mean the chicken or the egg. How long can the hatching eggs survive after they arrive if the incubator isn't available? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated by me and my two granddaughters.
    Thanks much.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Two weeks from lay date is the max I would go. Turning them 3 times a day.

Remember ya need to run the incubator for 24 hours to get the temp right before adding eggs

3. carniven

Mar 14, 2009
    Cape Cod
    Thanks for the quick reply. I hope the breeder will provide the date with the eggs! What do I need to do to keep them alive in the meantime? Do the eggs need to be kept at a certain temperature before going into the incubator?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  4. sunshinegirl432

sunshinegirl432 New Egg

Mar 14, 2009
    Alabama
    I put mine on a towel on a cookiesheet, at room temperature. Don't wash them. Turn them 3 times a day.
    Good luck!!![​IMG]

5. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I put ours in the cellar. Just make sure they don't freeze or get too warm. They should be stored large end up. You can keep them in an egg carton and use a stick or block under one side to turn them, changing sides it is under 3-5 times a day.
    Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

6. carniven

Mar 14, 2009
    Cape Cod
    Thanks, Everyone. This is quickly becoming my favorite forum. You've all been so helpful.

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    10 to 14 days from lay date, max. I place mine in a paper egg tray, and turn just once a day. Always have great hatches. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by