Preserving the first egg shell?

ShelterGirl

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
Our sweet little lady, a rescue by the name of Henny Penny, gave us the wonderful gift of her first egg on Monday. After three months of recovery, she finally showed us she is better with this WONDERFUL sign.

I want to preserve the shell, does anyone have instructions as to how I may go about doing so?

I've done this with my first flock's first egglayers. I washed the egg, then made tiny holes using a pushpin on either end of the egg. I then used a thin stick (skewer or something thinner would do) to beat up the yolk and whites inside. Next I used a syringe to suck up the yolk and whites. I put the egg under running water and if water got inside I would shake the egg to wash the inside. Finally I would try to shake all the water out of it and leave it to dry.

Congrats to Miss Henny Penny for laying her first egg for you!

Here's what I did for the first duck egg for my girl Gabby (who just died last month at 8 years old!)

On the back it says:

Gabby's first egg
10-14-03
1.50 oz

She was a Golden 300 hybrid from Metzer Farms

I also decorated the first 2 eggs for the "first" ducks I had. And for the first six chickens to commemorate the event but now I've got so many animals I'm not always sure whose is the first egg
lol.png

eta: I empty it and spray polyurethane to preserve the shell too.

Last edited:
Shake the egg real hard to scramble the inside. Then take a sewing needle and make a small hole in each end of the egg. Using your mouth, blow the insides into a bowl for cooking. Let empty shell airdry for at least a day ( it might be weeks before we get around to the varnish) then cover with clear varnish or fingernail polish. We do this with some of our eggs that are exceptionally dark, speckled, or just look better than usual. When we gather enough of these empty shells, we will place them in a Easteregg basket and give away for gifts. Small pullet eggs sometimes go into a old bird nest to set on a coffee or end table. Our biggest problem in keeping the empty shells is small kids cant keep their hands off of them, and the eggs dont handle being dropped very well.

14833_0923111038.jpg

Last edited:
someone told me she emptied hers and then filled them with plaster of paris so if it dropped, it didn't break.
hu.gif
she has one from the 60's done this way.

I saved my first eggs from my first 4 chickens, beautiful blue and green Americauna eggs, with the push pin hole at either end of the egg and blow out the insides method. It worked well. Then I mounted the eggs in a shadow box that had black velvet on the back. It looks spectacular!

Back
Top Bottom