1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pressure Regulator / Pressure Reducing Valve for nipple waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by maxslug, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    The poultry nipples really shouldn't leak under these conditions, even with the bucket full. Where did you purchase them? Before I spent a lot of money on a pressure regulator, I'd get a couple nipples from a different source and see if that stops the leaking.

2. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Poultry nipples that are designed for layers (day old to adult) and broilers (day old to slaughter) are designed to work on 10" or less water column. That means it is 10" from the nipple to the top of the water.

To achieve a hydrostatic pressure of 1 PSI the water column height has to be 27.71"

So for every inch of water column height the hydrostatic pressure exerted is 0.036 PSI

As you can see a 5 gallon bucket alone, when full of water, far exceeds the design specifications of a poultry drinking nipple. Then you add the vertical distance between the bottom of the reservoir (bucket) and the nipple itself if you use a pipe or something and the water pressure is even further out of spec.

At pressures higher than 8" water column (0.288 PSI) the nipples will flow more water than a bird can drink and waste will occur. In addition to that very few backyarders have the nipple drinkers at the optimum height for the bird to drink from. This causes more waste. Both equal dampness under the nipple. Not a big deal for a few birds or birds that are outside but there are situations where it is a problem.

Most of the miracle working pressure regulators available outside the poultry industry simply will not reduce the pressure enough for optimum performance.

A lower level of performance out of the cheap, Asian made copy cat nipples available on line that so many of you are in love with is to be expected. They may even leak when in a static state.

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    But higher pressure should seal them even better...

Are they actually leaking or are they discharging too much water when the birds are drinking? If they are discharging too much water it is due to high water pressure. If they are actually leaking then you may have some sediment that is keeping the nipples from sealing properly. Commercial nipple drinkers have a means of flushing the line to help remove sediment and biofilms which may grow in the line.

We use nipple drinkers to water 2500 hens. We only run four to six inches of water column pressure on the lines, otherwise too much is dripped on the floor when the birds are drinking.

4. ChickenJerk

Jan 6, 2012
    No. Higher pressure does not seal them better.

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I disagree. Each nipple has a small ball sitting on machined seat, as long as there is no sediment holding the ball open higher pressures make the ball seat better. Obviously if they are leaking due to to sediment on the seat then higher pressures will make them leak larger quantities of water. Manufacturer's instructions for introducing chicks is to turn down the water pressure extremely low, less than an inch of water height, so that the nipples drip a little to attract the chicks to the nipples. Higher pressures help seat the ball.

Our commercial water lines have a a regulator bypass so that you can apply full supply pressure to the water lines to blast out any debris. When I flush the lines at high pressure, I do not see any leaking nipples. In fact trying to operate them by hand takes a good amount of force to operate the nipple. Birds that do manage to peck hard enough to operate the nipples at this time are usually met with a spray of water from the nipple due to the high pressure.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Most of the cheaper poultry nipple waterer use water presser to seal them, now there are a few types like the nipple waterers that are used at rabbitries that are made of brass and are spring loaded with these type it doesn't matter what the water they will seal with no leaks.

Chris

7. ChickenJerk

Jan 6, 2012

8. ChickenJerk

Jan 6, 2012

9. ChickenJerk

Jan 6, 2012
    OOPS.

The other watering biggie I should have mentioned is Lubing. Not <2" there as well.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If water pressure has nothing to do with it then what makes them seat and not leak, yes the mill work has some to do with it but something has to make it seat. (spring, gravity or water pressure)

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by