Pressure Regulator / Pressure Reducing Valve for nipple waterer

I'm wondering if someone in this thread can help me out? I have horizontal nipples and we've just built our coop. I would like to set up a watering system that can connect to the spigot on my house with a hose - that hose will lead to a bucket and auto fill the bucket so it doesn't ever get low (in the non-freezing months) - then from the bucket I would run PVC or milk hose or something that the horizontal nipples would attach to. Would I need a pressure regulator for a set up like this? Or would I only need the float valve? I have never built anything like this and I really don't know much at all about water pressure and systems like this. I've read through this thread and I'm finding myself just feeling more confused than when I started haha :) I just wish there was a step by step - buy this, do this - with photos! Is it too much to ask?
wink.png
lol

Thanks in advance!!!
Jen

I'm wondering if someone in this thread can help me out? I have horizontal nipples and we've just built our coop. I would like to set up a watering system that can connect to the spigot on my house with a hose - that hose will lead to a bucket and auto fill the bucket so it doesn't ever get low (in the non-freezing months) - then from the bucket I would run PVC or milk hose or something that the horizontal nipples would attach to. Would I need a pressure regulator for a set up like this? Or would I only need the float valve? I have never built anything like this and I really don't know much at all about water pressure and systems like this. I've read through this thread and I'm finding myself just feeling more confused than when I started haha :) I just wish there was a step by step - buy this, do this - with photos! Is it too much to ask?
wink.png
lol

Thanks in advance!!!
Jen
If your running a hose to a bucket from a spigot then all you would need is a float.

I would also recommend running the water line under the ground, if the beats down on the hose for very long the water in the hose is going to get very hot.

If your running a hose to a bucket from a spigot then all you would need is a float.

I would also recommend running the water line under the ground, if the beats down on the hose for very long the water in the hose is going to get very hot. 

Yikes I hadn't thought about that part. Digging up the yard to run it seems like a lot more work than what I imagined. I may be able to run it along our fence and under our big evergreens. Then it would be completely shaded.

Is there a calculation used to figure out how high the bucket should be above the line with the nipples to provide the right pressure? Should the bucket only be filled half way?

Thank you!

I'm at Home Depot now and they say they do not have a float valve. Only the toilet fill valves. Am I looking in the wrong spot? How could I make a toilet fill valve work with a small water cooler? Wouldn't I then have to drill a hole in the bottom of the jug? I wanted to avoid using a thing plastic bucket as I was hoping to take advantage of an insulated cooler so that when I heat it in the winter the water will be less likely to freeze. Staring at the PVC aisle and feeling very overwhelmed. Eeeeek!

I'm at Home Depot now and they say they do not have a float valve. Only the toilet fill valves. Am I looking in the wrong spot? How could I make a toilet fill valve work with a small water cooler? Wouldn't I then have to drill a hole in the bottom of the jug? I wanted to avoid using a thing plastic bucket as I was hoping to take advantage of an insulated cooler so that when I heat it in the winter the water will be less likely to freeze. Staring at the PVC aisle and feeling very overwhelmed. Eeeeek!

Here's what my HD carries for float valves. Being in WI, your HD may not carry them since they're primarily used for evaporative coolers. The toilet fill valve should work for you too though. I think there are pages here somewhere on BYC that show you how.

Toilet fill valve like this will work.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Universal-Fill-Valve-400ARP25/100554467

Spent nearly an hour and a half at Home Depot ha! Had two nice gentlemen help me figure it all out. They want me to take pictures and show them once it's up and running too. I hope it works!!

I'm reviving this thread as I've finally sorted out how to reduce the pressure in the pipes that are hardlined in without purchasing expensive valves.Maybe someone else can benefit from this

To recap, having a water line that is attached to your system is the easiest way to feed your birds. I have a couple of large chicken pens and small raised quail pens and in the upwards of 75 birds so watering them daily or even every few days could be a chore.
I hooked up the nipple waterers to the main household system and the pressure, regardless of how little I opened the cut off valve was far too much for the birds to be able to access the water as many here have experienced.

My solution: I added what is tantamount to a chimney. I made a cut in the pipe just before the nipple section that goes to the pen and put in a T with the T connected to a pipe that sticks straight up just like a chimney. Do not seal this piece. I did put an elbow so it wasn't open to the sky though. I put the water on at barely a trickle, more a drip really and the water in the nipple line is enough to provide for the birds. if the pipe fills to the top, ie, overnight when they are not feeding it may dribble a bit of water out but it is easily the most effective way to reduce the water pressure on a dime that I was able to figure out.

I'm reviving this thread as I've finally sorted out how to reduce the pressure in the pipes that are hardlined in without purchasing expensive valves.Maybe someone else can benefit from this

To recap, having a water line that is attached to your system is the easiest way to feed your birds. I have a couple of large chicken pens and small raised quail pens and in the upwards of 75 birds so watering them daily or even every few days could be a chore.
I hooked up the nipple waterers to the main household system and the pressure, regardless of how little I opened the cut off valve was far too much for the birds to be able to access the water as many here have experienced.

My solution: I added what is tantamount to a chimney. I made a cut in the pipe just before the nipple section that goes to the pen and put in a T with the T connected to a pipe that sticks straight up just like a chimney. Do not seal this piece. I did put an elbow so it wasn't open to the sky though. I put the water on at barely a trickle, more a drip really and the water in the nipple line is enough to provide for the birds. if the pipe fills to the top, ie, overnight when they are not feeding it may dribble a bit of water out but it is easily the most effective way to reduce the water pressure on a dime that I was able to figure out.
That's a lot of extra trouble and at times you still will have water coming out of the stand pipe or will have real low supply to the nipple waterers.

You can do the same thing with a bucket and a supply float (from a toilet or swamp cooler). The water level will stay the same in the bucket. If you use flexible lines to and from the bucket you can adjust the height of the bucket to adjust the pressure at the nipples. The water level will stay the same in the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom