Pressure treated lumber in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sweetdanat, May 22, 2012.

1. sweetdanat

sweetdanat Chirping

Apr 8, 2012
    My husband built me a coop for mother's day and our 3 young hens are loving it. He just asked me if he really screwed up by using pressure treated lumber in the run area (not the roost). The whole thing is stained, but the chickens do have the ability to walk on the edges of the stained lumber. Is this a problem for their future eggs? Worried we wasted a lot of time and money...

2. rungirl

rungirl Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    They stopped using cyanide in pressure treated lumber several years ago. You should be fine.

3. Kay56

Kay56 Chirping

Jan 11, 2012
    Our run is pressure treated wood and I think most of the folks here have also used it outside in the run area....not advised for the inside of the coop though unless it is covered with wall board of some kind.....The stain will be OK outside......you should be just fine. [​IMG]

4. sweetdanat

sweetdanat Chirping

Apr 8, 2012
    Thanks! We are definitely new at this and learning as we go. Appreciate the help!

5. BigMatt

BigMatt Hatching

May 22, 2012
    New Castle, IN
    They were using arsenic in pressure treated wood, but I agree, they stopped several years ago.

6. Tweakster

Tweakster In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    Garden Ridge, TX
    [​IMG]I agree, I don't think it is possible for a chook to eat enough pressure treated wood to affect egg production. Brushing up against it just is not going to transfer the preservative, especially since it has been stained. I used pressure treated lumber in all of the ground contact areas. No problems.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Treated lumber is all I've ever used in building poultry housing. I've yet to see a bird gnawing on any of it. You'll be fine.

8. emrys

emrys Songster

Sep 3, 2009
    Thanks A.T. Now I have Diet Rite orange snorted all up my nose!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: