Pressurized Wood

Pressure treated wood has arsenic in it, you don't want that leaching into your compost and garden! You can get cheap or free block off Craigslist and make your compost bins out of those. They last way longer than wood!

Arsenic is no longer used in PT lumber. A copper solution is used to deter insects and fungi. I still wouldn't use it for compost bin walls. Maybe use pallets?? Easy to find, usually free!

Pallets are a great way to go for making compost bins. I made mine years ago and they are holding up great. I would suggest trying to use oak pallets. They will last a few years longer than pine. You can always find free pallets behind businesses in industrial areas and warehouses. SO many uses for pallets. Cant go wrong with free lumber.

Pallets are a great way to go for making compost bins. I made mine years ago and they are holding up great. I would suggest trying to use oak pallets. They will last a few years longer than pine. You can always find free pallets behind businesses in industrial areas and warehouses. SO many uses for pallets. Cant go wrong with free lumber.
Sure hope you are asking before taking those pallets, just because someone has something outside doesn't mean they are getting rid of it and doesn't mind people stealing their stuff.

Yes, always make sure they are for the taking. I work for a local trucking company and if I need pallets and see a bunch somewhere I'll ask and come back after work and help clean up for them. I would say 95% of the time they are happy to get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom