Pretending to be broody

OscarHasHumor

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2020
Do y'all know why all of my hens do this so they will sit on eggs for hours maybe even half the day but then after they lay there egg they stop does any of y'all chickens do this and how do I stop it cause I get exited but then they just get off.Cause i want them to hatch chicks

Do y'all know why all of my hens do this so they will sit on eggs for hours maybe even half the day but then after they lay there egg they stop does any of y'all chickens do this and how do I stop it cause I get exited but then they just get off.Cause i want them to hatch chicks
I have a chicken that does that. I don't know if it because mine has only laid eggs for a month and is just new to it or if she just does not want to commit to hatch eggs.

Is your chicken new to laying to being broody.

Some hens just do that.
It is not a problem, and I do not know of a way to make them stop.

If you are hoping for a broody hen, look in the nest at bedtime. A broody hen will sleep on the nest, while a not-broody hen should sleep on the roost. (I have sometimes seen a not-broody hen sleep on the nest, because she needed to lay an egg and didn't quite manage before dark. She laid the egg and got off early the next morning.)

Some hens go broody early in the spring, some go broody later in the spring or even into the summer or fall, and some never go broody. I do not know what your hens may do, but there is still plenty of time in which they might go broody.

Some of my hens lay an egg in about 30 minutes. Some take more than 3 hours on the nest. Sounds like you have some slow ones.

Some hens never go broody, they just never do. Some go broody occasionally, some quite often. I think genetics has a lot to do with it. Most of mine that do go broody do not go broody until their second laying season but occasionally one will her first. There is nothing really consistent with them, but if one goes broody once there is a fair chance she will again, even if it is the following year.

I don't know of any way to make them go broody. I've left eggs (fake and real) pile up in a nest since I heard that might get them to go broody. Nope, did not work. I lectured them and showed them a Kentucky Fried poster as to consequences, they acted like they never understood a word. The only way I know for you to control when or even if you can hatch eggs is to get an incubator and raise them yourself.

I have had them try it out, this being broody, give it up for a couple of days... and then get serious. THE HARDEST thing is when you find one that you think is broody, is to WAIT a couple of days to make sure, THEN set the eggs.

Good luck, do try piling the eggs up, if they are thinking about it, sometimes it works.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom