Prettiest Rooster Contest!!!

Congrats to all of the winners! Some gorgeous roos there! I'm posting a picture of our Scout now that the contest is over. He's not the "prettiest rooster" out there, but he's awfully special nonetheless. He was hatched under a broody on October 28th, the only egg to hatch out of 15 shipped eggs. He was doing great until our temperatures plunge to unseasonable lows - we were in the upper 60's one day, and within 28 hours had dropped to 17 below zero. He got his little feet wet and suffered severe frostbite. We brought him in and started treating him. He got a hot tub treatment followed by a nice, pre-warmed spa towel a couple of times a day. That he loved. He also got bandages and ointments and castor oil rubs, which he didn't love. He survived, but his feet are totally deformed. But don't tell him that - he has no idea he has a disability.

Scout catching a quick nap in his hot tub.

As you can see, there's not much to his feet...

But he stands tall and proud, and he's a pretty doggone good roo!

Congrats to all of the winners! Some gorgeous roos there! I'm posting a picture of our Scout now that the contest is over. He's not the "prettiest rooster" out there, but he's awfully special nonetheless. He was hatched under a broody on October 28th, the only egg to hatch out of 15 shipped eggs. He was doing great until our temperatures plunge to unseasonable lows - we were in the upper 60's one day, and within 28 hours had dropped to 17 below zero. He got his little feet wet and suffered severe frostbite. We brought him in and started treating him. He got a hot tub treatment followed by a nice, pre-warmed spa towel a couple of times a day. That he loved. He also got bandages and ointments and castor oil rubs, which he didn't love. He survived, but his feet are totally deformed. But don't tell him that - he has no idea he has a disability. Scout catching a quick nap in his hot tub. As you can see, there's not much to his feet... But he stands tall and proud, and he's a pretty doggone good roo!
poor baby i know you had to work very hard to save him im surpise that he can walk. But he is proud looking .

poor baby i know you had to work very hard to save him im surpise that he can walk. But he is proud looking .
Thank you. He's amazing! We wondered too if he would be able to walk, but he can outrun me! He flies up on the roost and sleeps there all night with no problem and flies back down, landing just fine on those useless, curled under toes. He scratches in the dirt with the others, and does almost everything any other chicken does. He does have a little trouble scratching his face though. We wondered if he'd be able to breed, because he has no claws to hang on to the girls with, but he manages....Agatha is sitting on 9 eggs right now and he'll be the daddy. He just grabs their combs, poor girls!

Congrats to all of the winners! Some gorgeous roos there! I'm posting a picture of our Scout now that the contest is over. He's not the "prettiest rooster" out there, but he's awfully special nonetheless. He was hatched under a broody on October 28th, the only egg to hatch out of 15 shipped eggs. He was doing great until our temperatures plunge to unseasonable lows - we were in the upper 60's one day, and within 28 hours had dropped to 17 below zero. He got his little feet wet and suffered severe frostbite. We brought him in and started treating him. He got a hot tub treatment followed by a nice, pre-warmed spa towel a couple of times a day. That he loved. He also got bandages and ointments and castor oil rubs, which he didn't love. He survived, but his feet are totally deformed. But don't tell him that - he has no idea he has a disability.

congrats to you! I agree, he is soooooooooo special! handsome and aware of it!

Thank you.  He's amazing!  We wondered too if he would be able to walk, but he can outrun me!  He flies up on the roost and sleeps there all night with no problem and flies back down, landing just fine on those useless, curled under toes.  He scratches in the dirt with the others, and does almost everything any other chicken does.  He does have a little trouble scratching his face though.  We wondered if he'd be able to breed, because he has no claws to hang on to the girls with, but he manages....Agatha is sitting on 9 eggs right now and he'll be the daddy.  He just grabs their combs, poor girls!  
Dont feel to bab as thats how most rooster with good claws breed hang onto the hen little comb anyway .and he look great i bet you cannot wait for the little ones huh!good luck with ya flock

Name: Teka
Breed: Dutch Crested Polish

He's handsome!!!

Back
Top Bottom