Prettiest Rooter breeds?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Those are some beautiful roos! How about the Wyandottes either the silver laced or the Partidge. I cant tell from the google pics if the pics are actually of the breeeds
what is this guy? .

That fella is a gorgeous Black Copper Maran Rooster! He is very pretty!

Are you wanting a Copper Maran?

D.gif

Maran's lay a good three eggs a week. It's a pretty average egg rate, but you may know, that is just an average count. Some can lay more or less. They lay a LARGE dark chocolate colored egg, which is very beautiful! (Considered a "Chocolate Egger")Their purpose is really for egg laying....that's what they are good for. They are considered rare birds, but are not hard to find. Maran's can be either bantam, or large fowl size.

The recognized types of Maran's are; Black Copper, Silver Cuckoo, Golden Cuckoo, White, Wheaten, Birchen, and Blue. There are also others, which are a bit less common.

They can be broody, and can be confined (If you like your chickens that way). THEY ARE COLD HARDY, which is a bonus.

The roosters can be mean, but any rooster can be really....
They are not too vocal, from what I have heard.

The Copper Maran roosters have a black breast, with copper neck, and saddle feathers. Their tail feathers, and small sickles are a florescent green color.

Both hens and roosters have slightly feathered feet, the feathers being black.

The hens have an all black body, except for their head and neck. Their head and neck are copper mottled, being copper and black.

jumpy.gif

Hope this helps, and I hope this makes you even more interested in getting a Maran rooster!

~Bantambury

What breeds would you not recommend? I planned to order from Ideal Poultry. That's where I bought my Chinese geese. I am in an extremely rural area with lots of predators. Birds are locked up tight next to my dog kennel at night and I've only lost birds to predators when they are out "grazing." Birds also need to be pretty weather hardy temps vary btw 120*F and 6*F at extremes. I have cameras, new fencing, accessible hideouts, and flock watchdogs and geese. I raised my last chicks around dogs so they wouldn't act too flighty and trigger their prey drive but they were a bit too friendly (walking up to the dogs or flying into dog runs while they eat and eating their food from they bowls). That was my former Rooster's fatal mistake. He decided to fly into a run with a visiting Rottweiler to share his dinner.
Two breeds I would not recommend getting from a hatchery are RIRs/production reds and plymouth rocks. I own white rocks and absolutley love them, very sweet birds, including my roosters (who are huge sweet hearts), but the ones I have got from hatcheries have aggression problems. Every single one I have had has attacked me along with the RIRs. And I have tried many routes raising them. Being nice and loving, being assertive and pushy, showing I amboss, paying no attnetion to them, every attempt was a fail. With the ones i got from a breeder, never had to even try with them, just instant sweet hearts. Hertiage RIRs, great birds, lovely personalities. But the ones I have had from the hatcheries also had aggression problems. One reason some hatchery birds are like this is because, most private breeders will get rid an aggresive bird, hathceries usually don't. I don't buy birds from hatcheries anymore, havent for a while. I much prefer breeder birds. Now these are all my personal experiences. There is no fact to this just experience. Others may say they loved their hatchery RIRs and BRs.

We have a Porcelain Silkie and he is big, fluffy, gorgeous and very protective over his ladies, he had physically fought with a hawk twice now, wouldn't trade him for anything in the world, he's wary of dogs and loves us humans:) this is our rooster Russell Crowe:)

My Braekel rooster.
(note:this is an old picture,will post a newer one later this week
smile.png
)

He is an excellent rooster,not aggressive towards humans,nice with his hens and very protective of them .
And he is very tame,i can pick him up no problem.
And he doesn't crow to much and because he is a pretty light bird he can fertilize a lot of hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom