Pretty Cool w my new babies

cricketjo76

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Detroit Lakes MN
Just wanted to say that I bought 6 keets 3 wks back, one passed, but the other 5 are great and about 7-8 wks (4-5 wks when bought). Yesterday my 5 yr old gave them some salad per my request but apparently left their door partially open. Needless to say I see 5 football sized babies roaming my front yard finally settling in my flower garden turned raspberry, oak, maple garden ;) they stayed there for the couple hrs it was before dusk and I did allow this as I couldn't see scaring n chasing them needlessly when my dogs were in and they were absolutely happy the 20 ft from their pen, staying put n chowing! I know they will venture if I let them and I think they are to young to start roaming on their own?? Anyhow the point was that right around 730 pm (in nw MN) hubby n I were out on upper deck and all of a sudden a guinea flys and proceeds to sit on my husbands work truck staring at me then the pen! Total shock as I really didn't notice that they had moved and boy did they! I went up and found them waiting at corner of the house waiting it seems for the ok to come home!!! LMAO! mind you that this is all w/in my front n side yard. So I decided to refil their water and get their nightly feeding and slowly herd them "home". They didn't need the herding at all, just everyone to back up n watch as they waddled their little flock back home! It was so cool, as I'm a never before owner and was worried about this training and ranging and searching and chasing I keep reading about!
I hope it lasts but at their age, am I right to be concerned w their roaming right now?
Thx and GREAT SITE!!!

My six year-old guineas roam as far away as my neighbor's a 1/4 mile away. They come home throughout the day for water and feed, even though they are foraging elsewhere. At night, they come home to roost in our huge hackberry tree. They were roosting on the framework of our unfinished carport , even in pouring rain. We recently had a bad thunder storm, and even in the lightening and pouring rain, they just sat there overnight getting drenched. They don't go in the shed nor pen where we used to pen them up at night. When two hens were setting, we had a bad snake problem in there. The rat snakes are notorious here.
Our hen that hatched 14 in her wild nest three days ago, lost twelve her first night with them, and the other two the next night. Each night, she had moved to different places. All gone. I cried.
The snakes go under the hen at night undetected. The hen thinks the movement is the keets and doesn't notice the danger.

Awwwww, that sux! Poor mama:( I'm sorry for your loss, truly. It goes to show that they have their own thoughts in any given situations whith sitting outin the rain! Goofy, wonder why they do that???

In my humble opinion, I think it would be best if you were to leave them locked up inside for another couple weeks - about 6 weeks total. It kinda helps them know where they should come back to at night. In a few weeks, they'll be ready to venture outside to forage during the daylight, and will automatically come back to their coop to roost at night. Have fun with those babies!!

I agree with leaving them locked up, but wasn't sure if they should be 12 wks, 16wks...?? It was a novel event the other day but pretty neat watching them! I moved them to a larger area yesterday so they can get what they need ie exercise, stretching their wings, roosting foraging etc. Enclosed but I've begun worrying about mink now.. I've seen 3 in the last 2 wks,a white one, brown one and a black one. Usually see them once every couple yrs when one gets loose from the mink farm a few miles away. Will they attempt to take a baby down even when they are as big as a football n growing?

I think I might be worried about those mink, too. Better set up a trap for them.....what you do with them afterwards is your choice. But it could be a win-win situation! Eliminate the mink before they get the babies.....and in the process, you get a new mink wrap!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom