Pretty coop for 6 chickens?

MaeRain

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2015
I'm not a handy person and would like a pretty coop for 6 chickens. Is there any prebought ones you recommend?

Ah, yes I was actually thinking something more along these lines. I am wanting it to blend in with our estate grounds, While none of these are exactly what we are looking for, I feel they lean towards the direction I'd like to go.

And unfortunately they are all homemade as far as I can find. So no plans.

Last edited:
I am also a completely non-handy person who wanted a nice coop, and you are right that it is very, very difficult to find. One thing I've learned about chicken keeping is that there is a lot of DIY involved, even if you buy a coop (inevitably you will want to add and customize things once you know what your routine is), and I found it really challenging, especially at the beginning when I was getting set up. I found that most professional carpenters aren't interested in projects like this, at least where I live. I ended up depending on kind friends.

I bought this coop:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...u^570127-adType^PLA-device^t-adid^45527543863

I am sure it will seem ridiculously expensive to many, but having no building skills, I had to pay to get something that I felt confident would be high quality and not give me problems. I have been very happy with it (with some additions I made). In addition to being pretty (it gets lots of compliments), it's done a great job with ventilation, watertightness, sturdiness, and convenient design. It's not as fancy as the pics you showed (which are awesome), but in the category of pre-bought it seems to be one of the most attractive.

You mention plans -- does that mean you could build if you had plans? I remember seeing a blog entry that looked a little like coop #3 in your pics; I can try to hunt it down if that would help.

I got my cHicken coop from cconly. Great construction and will last. I have a large run so I got the coop with 4 nesting boxes that can comfortably fit 6 chickens and the attached run for when it rains there is covered area. Attached I have a two areas, one is 543 the other extends to 12x12. So I don't need a huge coop. It was $600 with shipping and I believe it was worth every penny

Just really watch the premade ones...really look at the measurement details, as many that look cute on-line, and claim to house 4-6 birds, end up being very tiny when assembled, more suitable for a pair of birds only. If you're wanting fancy, and are able to spend some money, I would pay someone to build you the coop that appeals to you... Folks who are handy with tools get a lot more bang for their buck when it comes to nice coops, because materials aren't cheap, but at least they're not having to pay for labor...

Back
Top Bottom