prevent roosting on the edge of nesting boxes - 2 months old chicks

here is the picture

3 roosts R
3 nesting boxes NB
3 stepping perches in front of nesting boxes S - one (S) is hidden from the view by the Roost
2 chicks seen hanging out on the edge of the nesting box during day time (luckily with their tails out)

View attachment 2411229
I've had to remove youngsters from nest boxes and place them on roosts. They eventually learn.... Yes, they pººp a lot!

The only way I can see of expanding your roost space would be to put a few roosts perpendicular to what you have. Do you have any old branches lying around? That would save you from having to buy more lumber.

The only way I can see of expanding your roost space would be to put a few roosts perpendicular to what you have. Do you have any old branches lying around? That would save you from having to buy more lumber.
have both 2x4's and branches lying around. The current roosts are 12" OC, so there would be no gain in roost space connecting them with perpendicular roosts if that's what you have meant

have both 2x4's and branches lying around. The current roosts are 12" OC, so there would be no gain in roost space connecting them with perpendicular roosts if that's what you have meant
There’s a rule of thumb to build a coop for 2x the number of chickens you plan on having...

I realize that’s difficult in colder climes where more enclosure and protection from drafts is needed.

Back
Top Bottom