Preventing duckling dehydration

cheesechee

Chirping
May 20, 2021
This is a very unique and strange question. I can't really say much for privacy sakes. I have a duckling that is very well socialized to humans because it's the only surviving one out of a clutch. She is about 5 weeks old. I plan on bringing it somewhere soon and I want to make sure she doesn't dehydrate as I may not be able to give her water for maybe 3 hours at most? Is there anything I can give her beforehand like Pedialyte for example just to make extra careful she doesn't get dehydrated? I also plan to bring watermelon to occasionally give her as well but I want to be extra safe. She is very well socialized and is used to going out places, so the only thing im really worried about is whether or not she'll get thirsty. She is very healthy, but I'm a bit paranoid 😅 I want her with me because I don't like leaving her to be lonely for too long

Plenty of electrolytes beforehand would help to a degree; more importantly, you would want to take away the feed source as waterfowl rely on water to get feed mater down their throats properly.
I have five-week-old ducklings that are raised by mothers here and go without food, and water all night, so in reality, I find it unlikely you would see dehydration in that short matter of time.

This is a very unique and strange question. I can't really say much for privacy sakes. I have a duckling that is very well socialized to humans because it's the only surviving one out of a clutch. She is about 5 weeks old. I plan on bringing it somewhere soon and I want to make sure she doesn't dehydrate as I may not be able to give her water for maybe 3 hours at most? Is there anything I can give her beforehand like Pedialyte for example just to make extra careful she doesn't get dehydrated? I also plan to bring watermelon to occasionally give her as well but I want to be extra safe. She is very well socialized and is used to going out places, so the only thing im really worried about is whether or not she'll get thirsty. She is very healthy, but I'm a bit paranoid 😅 I want her with me because I don't like leaving her to be lonely for too long
Temperature is a big factor

Make sure that your duckling doesn't get too warm.

These two were in the car for two hours with no indication of stress whatsoever.
20210516_163616.jpg

Back
Top Bottom