Preventing nipple waterer freezing

winstonsgrrrl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 10, 2009
Ohio
I'm getting some quail tomorrow, and plan to use rabbit watering bottles or soda bottle waterers. Any suggestions on how to keep them from freezing? I can have extras in the house to swap out, but I work 10 hr days, plus I prefer to sleep through the night without having to constantly switch things out.

I just started with a nipple waterer and I am not sure if I can use it through the winter.....I have seen a rabbit type lick or nipple type waterer, fairly large - well let's say 500 cc or more if I remember correctly, that has built in heater and was available at a petfood warehouse here in town....Don't know if that would be an option.......The other thing I thought about was having the nipple waterer near a heating lamp but that can be iffy to accomplish as I would have to put the light clear out the chickens reach but not to far from the hanging waterer.
idunno.gif

I dont have my waterer set up yet but was thinking of maybe using a loop system so I could run a small circulator pump to keep the water moving. It may be enough to keep it from freezing but I dont know. There is no electric at my coop yet so it will likely be a 12v pump run off a $20 solar panel. if I get it together I'll let you know if it works.

Back
Top Bottom