Preventing water from freezing WITHOUT electricity

Have you used that for several winters 21hens? I ask because I need to keep a larger water trough free of ice this winter for my ducks and there's nothing like a firsthand opinion from someone in the same (or similar) climate.

I can't help but wonder how well the solar power will work for the OP, because I spent a very dreary winter (gray and miserable) in Minnesota. Not much solar going on there. I read a blog by a guy that built an insulated plywood box for his stock tank, painted it black, put clear plastic on the south side, and then posted his temperature readings for a month. He also covered all but a small opening of the tank with a piece of plywood backed by thick Styrofoam. It floats, and under a sheet of plywood chickens can't get at it. It never froze solid in subzero temps... but I can't remember how far subzero it actually got. I'll be conducting a similar experiment very soon, but the coldest I've seen it get here is maybe -16F overnight. Not like Wisconsin.

I do recall those -16 nights. :tongue

This will be year 2 with that device. It kept a 6 gallon water dish ice free.
I will say that you will still need to scrub the dishes from time to time. They still get slimy inside. :sick
Not sure about using them for a duck pool. May need to go bigger. Cleaning the pool in winter is a huge reason I am not getting ducks here.

I didn't put in a full sized pool, couldn't justify it. I'm using a largish mortar trough, lol. Big enough for one large duck at a time. Big enough for both Cayuga's at once though. They like it well enough and it's still of a good size for easy tipping out for cleaning.

Have you used that for several winters 21hens? I ask because I need to keep a larger water trough free of ice this winter for my ducks and there's nothing like a firsthand opinion from someone in the same (or similar) climate.

I can't help but wonder how well the solar power will work for the OP, because I spent a very dreary winter (gray and miserable) in Minnesota. Not much solar going on there. I read a blog by a guy that built an insulated plywood box for his stock tank, painted it black, put clear plastic on the south side, and then posted his temperature readings for a month. He also covered all but a small opening of the tank with a piece of plywood backed by thick Styrofoam. It floats, and under a sheet of plywood chickens can't get at it. It never froze solid in subzero temps... but I can't remember how far subzero it actually got. I'll be conducting a similar experiment very soon, but the coldest I've seen it get here is maybe -16F overnight. Not like Wisconsin.

The 5th heater from the top is the one I use for my horses. It only heats or runs when the temp is sub +40 degrees.

If I was going the solar route I would research a circulating pump. With a storage battery.

Then you can always soaked your chickens' feed as long as they get to eat it before it freezes into a laying pellet popsicle.

Another approach might involve using hydrated food items although as I do it, it is not good enough to support sustained lay. I provide my birds with soaked oats they can chip at all day long making so they have little interest when given liquid water. My birds will also take advantage of snow but it has to be present. Maybe frozen cabbage would be a route for getting some water to them.

Back
Top Bottom