Prevention of coccidiosis in ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by abidaby, Aug 20, 2016.

1. abidaby

abidaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Kent, England
    Hi there
    I have 6 three week old ducklings and was just wondering if you guys use anything to prevent coccidiosis?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have never heard of Ducks getting it. They thrive in wet conditions....They are not like Chicks/Chickens where things need to be clean and dry.
    Have no worries.

3. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    By the jungle
    Ducks can get coccidiosis, I believe, but it's rare and almost solely occurs in crowded or dirty conditions. Good management is the only preventative you need. (Also, it's not a good idea to give ducklings medicated chick feed with coccidiostats or whatever they were – it's not good for them.)

4. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2016
    Ducklings don't need the same medicated chick starter that chicks do because they are not susceptible to the same problem as babies.

However, as they continue to mature, I believe one of the things to be aware of is that the ducks should not drink so often from the water that they swim in, which ultimately means they pooped in it, too. This might not be too much problem for large pools or ponds, but if you are giving them only a small tub or even kiddie pool, be sure to clean it out often.

Decide if you want to let the ducks have enough space for swimming in or just for dunking their heads. The latter should help with not drinking water full of their feces but at the same time, it seems to be denying them some prime swimming time where you can see them having fun and enjoying the water. So take your pick.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  5. abidaby

abidaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Kent, England
    Ok, thank you everyone for your help. I was just worried they needed something hat they wasn't getting:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by