prevention?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redjess1984, Aug 8, 2011.

1. redjess1984

redjess1984 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    Ok so this may be a rookie question but we've got 12 healthy birds in our little backyard coop , they are doing great right now but I am wondering if we should worm or vaccinate them or anything ? I asked at tsc and they didn't think so also we are trying to raise them organically. Do we ever need to preventatively treat their coop? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You don't ask easy questions, do you? But they are good questions.

Whether to worm or not is a personal preference. Some of us treat or medicate when we see a problem. Some people worm on a regular schedule. It is just up to you.

You could write a book on vaccinations. There are several different things you could vaccinate for. In my opinion, which you do, if any, should be based on your experiences and the conditions around you. When I was looking into it, there had been one reported case of Marek's in this county in the previous two years. I elected to not vaccinate for Marek's. My county extension agent hooked me up with a university Ag professor that teaches chicken diseases, breeds chickens for show, and is on the team that responds to reported outbreaks of poultry diseases in this area. After discussing how I planned ot manage my chickens, he recommended that I not vaccinate for anything. I keep a closed flock. I do not bring in other chickens, except hatchery chicks that are extremely safe, and I do not show my chickens. So they are not exposed that much. Depending in how you plan to manage your chickens, the answer may be totally different for you. I think it is helpful for us to tell you what we do, and really helpful if we say why, but our conditions are not the same as yours. Our answers may be different.

Some people do all sorts of weird and glorious things as a preventative. I don't. I try to keep the coop, run, and brooder dry, watch for problems, make sure they have appropriate food, water, and shelter, and treat only when necessary. Others take a totally different approach. Most of us have pretty healthy chickens. As with most things chickens, there is seldom any one right answer that covers us all.

Anyway, this is my opinion. Others will hopefully weigh in with different responses. Good luck!

3. redjess1984

redjess1984 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    Thank you for the insight! We don't plan on showing the chickens just have them for laying. They have a pretty large coup for the number of chickens so I believe that helps with preventing pests. No one around us has chickens so I guess at this point we are just gonna keep doing what we've been doing and not vaccinate or worm them. Just wanted to know what others were doing. Thanks again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by