Previously broody pullet now molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PrincessChicky, Dec 16, 2012.

1. PrincessChicky

PrincessChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    Dallas area
    Hello all,

I need a little reassurance here. My previously broody pullet was broody for the full 3 weeks, if not a little longer and just came out of that in the last 10 days or so.

Now she's decided to lose all her feathers. Normally I wouldn't care but doesn't DECEMBER seem like a stupid time to get naked? She has big bald spots all over and there are feathers **everywhere**. I'm sure I can't stop this from happening but is it normal to molt after being broody? She didn't lose a single feather while broody but after it is like she exploded all over the yard and coop.

She's going to need a sweater if she keeps this up. This doesn't seem like an evolutionarily intelligent behavior and it just doesn't make sense to me! Can you help?

1 person likes this.
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    My chickens are molting now too. I don't worry about them because they huddle up and keep warm. Chickens will molt when stressed out so maybe that's why she decided to molt after being broody.

1 person likes this.
  3. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    My little bantam EE did the same thing. Well almost. I took the eggs away after a few days because I don't have a roo then in just a couple of days there were little red feathers all over the yard and coop. I just up their protein intake a bit while molting and they do fine. I agree that the winter isn't the best time to shed one's "clothes" but chichens have been doing it that way for a lot longer than I've been raising them so who's to argue with Mother Nature? [​IMG]

4. chickentender8

chickentender8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2012
    My EE did the same thing. She was broody so I put her in a broody cage for a few days, that got her to stop being broody, then a week later it looked like a chicken exploded in the pen! There were feathers everywhere! She is starting to look better, but my other hens are still picking on her. I am wondering if it because she looks different, and maybe her horomones are out of whack. I don't know I am just glad her feathers are growing back!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by