price of goat feed

I buy an alfalfa cube for $10 - $15 per 50lb bag. It depends on who has it in stock. TSC sometimes has it for $10 a bag. The feed mill is usually a higher price. I ration the bag between my 6 does - 2 of which turn their noses up and spit out alfalfa in any form. I make a 50lbs bag last about 6 months. They get a few cubes at a time and it makes a nice treat. With the meat rabbits enjoying the cubes all the stock can have a few along. I have found it makes the animals much more friendly to offer them in my hand and spend time them while they nibble.

I soak the alfalfa cubes with a handful of beet pulp in water till soft. Then add some sweet feed to it..
The man at feed mill said sweet stuff was o.k. for goats as long as they were not milking ones. Mine are boer and mixed, just pasture ornaments....
I too trim the trees and cut down tall weeds and stuff to feed them... lilchick

It seems to be a matter of where you are and the genral customs but everyone I know here with dairy goats the give a ration of sweet feed - helps sweeten the milk. My goats get a sweet feed ration when milking.

Quote:
Oh wow that is actually a pretty good deal. I have just a grown doe and a pair of doelings and grown buck so that bag would last them awhile then. I just got myself a pair of rabbits I wouldn't have to buy those little bags of alfafla if I just buy the cubes.

I do have a question on sweet feed. My chickens have a tendancy now to get into the goat pen and eat the sweet feed. Will they be alright? Or should I keep them from eating it?

th.gif
My goat gets a cup of the horse food, or he'll steal from the horse.

Other than that its hay.... we paid $55 per 1200 pound bale. One bale lasts us about 1 - 2 months ..... for the horse and goat.

Sweet feed won't hurt them. It is mostly corn and stuff with molasses. I wouldn't scoop it out for them but if they are eating it from the goats don't worry over it.

Back
Top Bottom