Pricing Hens

nanawendy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Bellingham Wa
I just got a call from my ddil, she had a request from friends in her area. They know we raise chickens and that my kids got their hens from us. These friends have been thinking about chickens for some time and took care of ddil's girls this weekend when kids were here for a stay=cation. Now these friends are in love and want 6 of our hens... I'm willing(???) to sell 4. I have all ages from 18 mo to 3 months, and many different breeds ...a total of 25 birds. I have absolutely no idea of pricing. Please help me with fair pricing for my lovely girls. This is not for a large profit, mostly to encourage others. The husband raised chickens as a kid and knows some, but the children will be the winners of this transaction. Any input will be appreciated.
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Check your local craigslist and see what other hens are selling for.

Here in Missouri for a younger laying hen it is average $10-$12 each.

If you are selling bulk you might get them for $6-.$7 each. We just bought 20 and paid $6 each for them

Depends on where you live. Can be anywhere from $5-25 depending on breed and market. I'd just go off of what current CL listings are asking for in the similar age range. In the Everett area, $10 is usually what I let young active layers go for to friends. I usually list run in the mill layers at $15 on CL.

I sell hens for 15-20$ depending on which breed for 4 hens 75$-they already lay too?.deff 75$ for me- Healthy-you did all the work to get them that way-+ so I would pay that much:)

6$ each is cheap as dirt where I am...especially for egg layers in action.

I have some EE pullets and roos that were given to us as chicks. I want to keep 2-3 of the prettier pullets, and would like to see the rest go. I think there are around 5 roos (still a little hard to tell on some of them). They are 7 weeks old. Would it be a better idea to sell them as pairs? Advertise them as colored egg layers on CL? Would $15 be a fair price for a pair? And do I sell them now, or wait until they're a little older? Any suggestions will help!!!
D.gif

I was selling 2yr old red stars for $10 (cuz I'm getting into breeding and don't need them) and I had everyone and their brother calling for them. I start day old mutts at $2 each in the spring. Early spring I sell POL pullets for $15 (mutts) $20 (pet quality purebreds- If I had show quality I could get much much more but I don't show so I'm still learning what to look for). $45 for a broody australorp and a couple of her mutt chicks (proven broodiness/mothering is a HUGE underated market in the country). Had someone stop in to see if I had any POL pullets for sale (I don't) and tried talking me into selling her some of my POL cuckoo marans to her for $4 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She said they were going for $2 at the auction (I told her to go back and get some but explained that they were cockerels).

That being said I'm picking up an EE hen and her 3- 1month old chicks today and am getting them for a steal for $20 (gotta love yardsales). The lady only wants $10 but I am giving her $20 cuz I REALLY REALLY REALLY want more of her birds if she ever decides to get rid of a few more. Gorgeous birds and all are freeranged super healthy.

Honestly, if I was in your shoes I'd give them 4 chickens cuz they are nice enough to watch your DDIL's chickens so that you could spend time with your kids and grandbabies (I'm assuming your a grandma from the "nana" in your name). This is assuming that they didn't charge your DDIL to watch the chickens. Or if you want to make a little money back, charge like $5 each. This is pretty much what we would do in the hills of PA.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom