1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Primetime: The Outsiders: Monkey babies

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jul 1, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I saw this episode of Primetime: The Outsiders on ABC. It was on people that buy baby monkeys to raise as their children. First I thought it was going to be cute, but after I watched it, it was so sad. This one lady, takes such good care of her monkey, but it has a tendency to bite, so she had all of its teeth pulled. It was horrific.

Then another lady bought a baby monkey from a breeder. When it was around 7 years old it attacked her, thinking she was going to take his peanuts away. So she did the right thing, and gave him to a monkey sanctuary. Some of the monkeys there had their fingertips cut off, so they couldnt open their cages, they had their teeth pulled. It was so horrible.

I cried through the whole thing.

Did anybody else see this?

2. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I didnt see it, but Im not shocked. People destroy animals like that so the PEOPLE will be happy. No one should own primates, or big cats IMO.

3. SundownWaterfowl

Its so sick! I dont think that people should be able to own primates or big cats either.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Same here. I didn't watch this but I have seen some episodes of Chimp Eden on Animal Planet. Its just as sad.

5. SundownWaterfowl

Chimp Eden is so sad too. It sickens me how people can be so cruel to treat animals like this.

6. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Oh man I didn't see it but honestly...monkeys??? I think monkeys and other primates are so disgusting...I can't imagine having one as a pet. The disease factor alone is enough to turn me off. I mean - I really enjoy the thought of them in the jungle swinging from trees or even in a nice zoo like San Diego, but in cities and apartments? That's gross and dangerous.

My personal bias aside - some animals are just not meant to be "pets" let alone surrogate children. Then to mutilate them in order to make them subservient...I dunno - those people must be sick.

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    :eek: OMG that does sound horrible! AND depressing!!! [​IMG] I hate to say this, because I feel horrible for the primates... but thank god those people didn't have human children! :thun

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Yeah, I was just thinking about the day my 17 month old daughter bit me on the hand. First I had all her teeth pulled (and she had just pushed them out but oh well) and then I cut off my hand so she wouldn't be tempted again.

BUT I LOVE HER!

[​IMG]

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Y'all know that's me jokin', right?

:eek:

10. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    I saw it..I thought that older lady was a bit off her rocker, dressing it up and treating it like a baby, all because she had empty nest syndrome.And letting those kids at the playground get so close, and it trying to attack one of them. And the girl that had hers attack her over the peanuts, she later went and adopted a real baby...why didn't she just adopt in the first place? It probably cost more to buy the monkey and make its accomodations(built a monkey room) than to adopt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by