primitive incubation methods

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beefy, Jan 19, 2008.

1. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    has anyone ever incubated using a heating pad and misting every day?

what are some of the simplest ways you have hatched short of strapping eggs to yourself?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. gmc

gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2007
    Clay City, KY
    My wife talks about her grandmother using a heating pad all the time with eggs. She was young at the time and can't remember the details. But yes, I think some of the old timers had alternative methods other than what's used today. Guess since Lowes wasn't around to gather up all the cheap bator supplies, other methods had to be used.

gmc

3. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    I remember there was a post a long time ago, when a girl took an egg and kept it in her bra, and succefully hatched a chick.

4. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I have heard of using an electric skillet. I think there was an article in Backyard Poultry a while ago about incubating that way.

5. marcuscarr

marcuscarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    She kept an egg in her bra for 21 days? lol

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] man..........guess if you had nuff room you could? too too funny to picture that !

7. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2008
  8. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I thought the girl kept the egg in her bra for 24 days.. and then the poor thing (the chick in the egg.. not the girl) died? Not sure though..

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  9. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I had a 100% hatch rate with mallard eggs and a 20% hatch rate with chicken eggs using a home made incubator. I made it using a small plastic cooler, a piece of black felt, a desk lamp and a pane of glass. I put the eggs in the cooler on the felt, placed the glass on top, leaving a gap and adjusting it when needed to regulate the temperature and humidity. I placed the desk lamp (the kind with a bendy neck) with a 60 watt light bulb in it over the glass and adjusted it until it was 100 degrees at egg level. I sprayed the eggs a couple times a day with a plant mister. This took a lot of checking to make sure the temperature was right but I had great success with it. I have yet to have another hatch as successful as those mallards... even with broody hens.

10. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    if you do the egg in bra incubation does that mean you have to wear a wet tshirt for the last three days (increased humidity?).[​IMG]

yikes!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by