Prior lurker to new member...hi all!

Fantastic Fowl Farms

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2021
I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member. I am a first time chicken and duck owner (kind of) since April 2020, and I have relied on this site frequently. I say kind of because my girls rescued an injured "duckling" about 6 years ago and it grew up to be a Canadian goose that was in love with me and tried to follow my car on it's 27 mile commute to work frequently.

In April we got 4 white leghorn pullets and two unsexed ducks (a rouen and a pekin). That began our ridiculous naming convention for our chickens (which are pets really and we will never eat but we are easily amused). The ducks have been spared from our nonsense.
4 white leghorns: Cordon Bleu, Parmesan, Alfredo, Nugget
Rouen: Aqua. Pekin: Rosa
About two months later we got four more pullets (already addicts).
2 Barred Rocks: Fried & Noodle Soup
Starlight: Pot Pie. Black Asian: Sweet & Sour.
Then Aqua duck decides she was a he (I guess he was all along but we were hoping) and that the white leghorns looked enough like Rosa to try to mess around with so we adopted two more female ducks so he would leave the chickens alone (horn ball). They are Lilly the runner and Juliet the chocolate swed. And then we were at TS and they had adorable grey puffballs on sale for $1 so we bought 4 more pullets. They said the were Sapphire something. Anyway, they were aptly named Winner Winner, Popcorn, Marsala and Soft Taco. Unfortunately Marsala fell victim to a huge rat.

What I love most about our flock is just spending time with them. If I am stressed, or bored, or anything really, I can just go out to their run and hang out with them and they make me laugh and calm me down.

I have two teenage daughters and I work at a university so all three of us are working/going to school from home. We also have two indoor cats and a crazy 17 month old GSD. My husband is not as big of a fan of all the animals but he appreciates that the three of us work so hard to care for them.

I found BYC because posts from the site showed up as results to nearly every google search I put in for a question. I guess the only reason I haven't joined is that I have never not had a question answered.

-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Back
Top Bottom