Privacy Trees! 🌲🌳

Dec 7, 2020
Hello to all! Does anybody know any good trees to use to make a privacy fence? Would prefer some natural trees rather than a wooden fence. I have heard Thuja Green Giants are good, but have also heard of using bamboo? Anyone have any advice?

It will depend on where you live on what trees do best.

Hedges need trimming or they get nutty. There is also the footprint to consider. How much space can you sacrifice to them?

No trees or hedges will stop chickens roaming....they always find a way.

I think something dense and evergreen when I think of a living fence. Arborvite (sp?) tends to fit that description.

Last edited:
If you grow bamboo be prepared for it to grow everywhere including your neighbors yards. They are very difficult to cut down once established.
Arborvitae is good and grows in a lot of climates. Where are you located?

It will depend on where you live on what trees do best.

Hedges need trimming or a hey get nutty. There is also the footprint to consider. How much space can you sacrifice to them?

No trees or hedges will stop chickens roaming....they always find a way.

I think something dense and evergreen when I think of a living fence. Arborvite (sp?) tends to fit that description.
Thanks!

Thanks! (Also if you still need help curing an adult chicks pasty butt, try giving her a bath and use gloves and a soft rag with dawn to gently wipe her vent clean and then rinse clean. Dry her off completly before putting her back outside. She may tolerate being blow dried on low. Some hens even love baths!)
Thanks

Bamboo comes in two varieties - "clumpers" and "runners". The running type can put out rhizomes up to thirty feet from the grove. You can successfully grow them with root barriers but it's an added expense and a lot of work to put in one that will contain them. The clumpers include some beautiful fountain type species such as Fargesia nitida if you live somewhere it doesn't get too hot and humid as it's originally from a temperate part of Asia. We have a grove of phyllostachis aurea ('Golden Bamboo) in our front yard, which stays fairly contained by a creek, a road, and distance from the neighbors and house. Still, it's definitely not a "plant it and forget it" type of plant.

Definitely watch out if you plant bamboo. It will spread, just depends on how much/how quickly.

arborvitae is popular.

Windbreak trees in eastern WA get tall. These are Poplar trees, Lombardy variety. They get planted in a row, and grow fast and tall.

I have a question about Aborvitae trees. We are trying to figure out the placement of the coop. Can the concentration of the nitrogen from the chicken coop harm the roots and the tree if the tree is planted too close the the coop. The tree itself would not be touching the coop, there is a fence on one side to separate that part of the yard. I should mention that the trees are slightly up hill from where I want to put the coop so any drainage would be away from the trees. We live in the Northeast and the coop would get a lot of poop in the winter before I can get out there in the spring and water the dirt down and turn the soil inside. I would be able to clean the chicken house out in the winter, but the soil would be frozen. This is the only location that works for us, just wondering about our arborvitae trees. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom