Pro Pen-G?

The needle is fine for Pen G. The syringe is the same size that I used, but you can't accurately measure a 0.02cc dose. Probably it will be fine as long as you give a dose smaller than 0.1cc which is still 5x the recommended dose. Just don't give it for more than 3-4 days.

so it basically equate to 0.01 cc per pound, is that correct? i just realized i got the wrong syringe for the needles anyways so i will be going back to the feed store to get new syringes. so i should get a smaller numbered syringe? i'm so sorry never had to give shots before in fact im pretty petrified of needle myself.

yes, that is correct. 0.01cc per lb.

You'll be fine!
hugs.gif

Here is my handy-dandy guide to giving injections....

Draw up the dose. Shake the bottle first. Then draw the same amount of air into the syringe as the dose you want to give, then inject that air into the bottle (put the needle right through the rubber stopper on the top), to keep a vacuum from building up.

Then, with the needle still in the bottle, tip the bottle upside down (with the needle pointed up) Hold onto the bottle, (the needle will stay put in the rubber without any help from you,) and draw the Pen G into the syringe. Then, flick the syringe with your finger to get the bubbles to go to the top (needle end) and inject the Pen G back into the bottle quickly, which puts the bubbles in the bottle. Then you can draw up the correct dose without any bubbles. if you still have bubbles, you can repeat the process.

Giving the injection. Once you have the correct dose drawn up, loosely recap the syringe and put it down where you can reach it. Get ahold of the bird with one hand, and move the feathers on the breast until you see skin. Pick up the syringe and uncap the needle. Dart the needle into the breast meat quickly. Don't do this part slowly, or it will hurt her. Once the needle is in the muscle, pull back gently on the plunger to make sure you don't see blood (so you didn't hit a vein). If all is well, then inject slowly, or it will sting, and the bird will fight you.

Rotate from one breast to the other each day so the bird doesn't get too sore. Ideally you would use a new needle and syringe each day. The needle gets dull after use, and then the bird hurts more, and you have to clean the needle. They are pretty cheap. Just get several.

ETA - This whole process is a lot easier if you have a helper to hold the bird. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom