prob dumb question about EE's

augiedranch

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
hi
i just got my first EE chicks. they are about five weeks old now. I know they are going to lay colored green or what not eggs.... do they have to be bred with a EE rooster to make other hens that lay colored eggs? one out of three of my chicks doesnt have the green legs on her.. shes an a ameracauna. will she still lay green or blue eggs?

Thanks for any help

The egg color does not have anything to do with leg color or almost anything else-pea comb being an exception but with EE it is not even an reliable indicator.

You can't even tell which ones will lay green, blue or tinted. Just will have to wait until they start laying.

Basically, you do not need an EE rooster to produce pullets that lay green or blue eggs. But roosters CAN have and pass it on, just no way to be 100% sure just by looking at a rooster. For this reason,with EE it's much easier to be assured by breeding only the hens that either lay blue or green eggs.

For example, a RIR bred with an EE that lays tinted or brown eggs will never produce any daughters that lay green or blue eggs. Only tinted and brown.

In contrast, a RIR bred with a hen who lays blue or green eggs will produce at least half(or even all, if she is pure for the O gene*) daughters that lay either green or blue eggs.

*name for the blue egg gene. The variable appearence- blue to green is due to the O on lighter vs tinted/brown eggs respectively.

I have a stupid question; what is an EE? I can't for the life of me figure out what that abbreviation stands for. Most of the others I get, and I feel a little silly for not knowing this one.

Where in TX are you? I have three spare EE roosters if you're looking for one!

Thanks for the answer to what is EE! I never would have come up with easter egg. I couldn't think of any actual breed name that would be abbreviated with EE. Mystery solved.

pips&peeps :

Quote:
Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers are seperate breeds........

EE stands for Easter Egger.

whats the difference with EE and ameraucanas?

tsc said i got ameraucanas. but they all look like all yalls EE's

thanks!​

Back
Top Bottom