Probably a dumb question but help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FrankieMcElfresh, Jul 3, 2011.

1. FrankieMcElfresh

FrankieMcElfresh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    ok like I said this is probably a dumb question but when my hens start laying eggs how will I tell if they are like eating store type eggs or a baby chick egg with a chick inside lol help for my stupidity? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    If you have no rooster, than they will all be like "store type eggs". Even fertilized eggs are fine for cooking/eating. Are you wanting them for incubating or eating?

3. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    they only start developing if you've got a rooster -and- then if the hen sits on them (or if your coop's temperature is 95* or higher) for 24 hours straight or so. if you collect the eggs every day, you should have no issues. [​IMG]

4. FrankieMcElfresh

FrankieMcElfresh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:I do have a rooster and I was kinda hoping for both incubating and eating.

5. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Lucky you! I have no rooster so must buy fertilized eggs to incubate. (hoping to hatch some babies in a couple weeks and will keep a rooster if I get one)
    So if you collect your eggs everyday you can choose to either eat them or set some aside to incubate (provided roo does his job).

6. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:I do have a rooster and I was kinda hoping for both incubating and eating.

I agree with the above posts. We collect two times a day here unless we want a hen to hatch and she has gone broody and then we mark the eggs with a line around the middle so we can tell that it's a hatching egg without disturbing it. That way we won't pick up an egg that has been growing baby chicks in the nest [​IMG]

7. Lizl

Lizl Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    There is no such thing as a dumb question! [​IMG]

I have 50 Leghorns that should start laying in about 2 weeks time. And then I have 6 Bantams. They'll probably never get to sit on the eggs, as my 5year old son can't wait to look for eggs! He'll literally stick his hand in under the hen and feel for an egg, and then come running home with his treasure! (of which some have not quite made it as far as the kitchen...do you know how messy it can be to clean up an egg?! [​IMG]

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree you can eat fertilized eggs without a problem. There really is no difference. If you want to be able to tell if your rooster is doing his job, look for the bull's eye when you crack an egg. You really can't tell if an egg is fertile without cracking it, but if most of the eggs you crack are fertile, most of the ones you don't crack are fertile too. When you crack it, the bull's eye might be on the bottom of the egg, so you may need to turn it over gently with a spoon.

This thread shows you what to look for. Good luck!

Fertile Egg Photos
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008&p=6

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yup, fertilised eggs taste just exactly the same as the unfertilised ones. The embryo only starts to develop if the egg is incubated or sat upon by a broody hen. My neighbours choose not to keep a rooster cause they're squeamish about eating fertilised eggs; a lot of people do feel that way. I haven't the heart to tell them that their hussy hens come racing round to my yard every day to be 'romanced' by my own two roos and that they've almost definitely been eating fertilised eggs for the last 18 months without noticing any difference...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by