Probably a silly questions but........

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Appytaz, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    What do you guys do with all of these chicks???? I see people ordering 25 chicks at a time and I just can not imagine how many you would keep and why? Do you keep your chicks? Raise and sell? eat? for eggs? I have my little heard of 4 adults and am looking for homes for the last 8 chicks one hatched. When I bought my new house it came with over 40 chickens, I have thinned the herd down to my favorites. So, please, no one take offense to the questions. I am just curious as to what you do with so many chickens.

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    it is called an addiction...there is no such thing as too many...unless my wife finds out

3. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    [​IMG] I love that answer:lau I myself love chickens the more the merrier!! I want them for eggs and reproduction! They are pets for me!

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    My friend's daughter got 25 to show for 4H. Pick out the best for show, sell a few, keep a few for eggs, eat a few. It works out.

I sell surplus eggs to co-workers and friends when I have them. Hey, it helps pay for feed.

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    A lot of hatcheries have minimum orders of 25 chicks for warmth, so that could be one explanation. 6 or so hens are good for laying eggs for the table, but a lot of people have breeding projects going or they sell chicks or hatching eggs, so they just take the hobby to a higher level.

6. Farmer John

Farmer John Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2007
    707 NoCal
    25 is usually a minimum order. That's probably 1 reason you see a lot of folks getting that many.

I just got 25. I plan on raising them to sell their eggs next season at farmers market. I needed more eggs. I just got them, so they should start laying eggs right in time.

7. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the answers. I can understand using them to sell and for eggs. I imagine it would be so exciting to actually hatch the eggs to chicks. Just don't know what I would do with them after that :)

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am lucky enough that my local feed store sells chicks so I donn't have to get 25 at a time. We usually get 24. [​IMG] JK!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by