Probably a stupid question but...

greeneggsnham

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Southeast Missouri
This is probably a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway.
hide.gif
I keep hearing you guys refer to "packing peanuts" and the way you guys talk I would think they were chicks. So whats the deal am I just crazy or do some places send you extra chicks to "fill the box". Sorry I'm new to here and to chickens. I have an order coming in from MPC soon and it is my first time ordering chicks so it would be good to know. Thanks

Yes, packing peanuts are extra chicks (usually males) that are sent for warmth. I requested no packing peanuts and I did not get any though I had to purchase extra insurance (from Ideal) My chicks came all alive and healthy. Not sure if all hatcherys do this. Don't feel stupid. I didn't know what they were either when I first heard people talking about them.

Quote:
With MPC, you are able to order as few as 3 chicks and from everything I've read on MPC-there are NO packing peanuts. They send the chicks with a heat pack for extra warmth, so what you get is what your ordered! Good luck!!

Quote:
With MPC, you are able to order as few as 3 chicks and from everything I've read on MPC-there are NO packing peanuts. They send the chicks with a heat pack for extra warmth, so what you get is what your ordered! Good luck!!

The three chick minimum with MPC is only if you live in a major city. The further away you are from a major postal hub, the higher the minimum; just a little FYI.
wink.png

True, MPC uses heat packs and doesn't include packing peanuts, but they are more expensive. They are not a hatchery, but a middleman.
Like Shannon, I ordered from Ideal, requested delivery later in the spring (May) and requested no packing peanuts. The postal insurance you have to pay in lieu of packing peanuts is just a few dollars.

Yup, they're filler chicks. I called McMurray ahead of time and asked for no extras and no free rare breed chick (I'd love more, but my coop is just not big enough). There was a note on the packing slip that confirmed this, and then in the list of breeds and quantities they wrote "1 Blk Aust - FREE." Sure enough, I counted 'em up and there were 26, LOL. I don't mind.
big_smile.png
We'll still have to see if she's a he!

Needless to say, all my chicks arrived happy and healthy. So maybe #26 did make all the difference??
idunno.gif

MPC also throws in extra chicks as well, even with a heat pack. Two years ago we received an extra Silkie with our order of 12 chicks. We were thrilled at first. Until the throw in turned out to be an attack rooster with "small man syndrome"! (Wasn't too disappointed when Mr. Coyote picked him up one day.)

MPC does say that they try to throw in the same sex and breed as others in the order. Given that Silkies are hard to sex, I'm going to give them a pass. We had outstanding birds from MPC. So happy with them that we are expecting another order from them this week! WOOT! I wouldn't even mind a packing peanut or two.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom