Probably Stupid Question?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JPHorvath, Jul 22, 2011.

1. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chillin' With My Peeps

Seems as if this may be self explanatory, but I will ask regardless.

We are experiencing excessive heat in Southeastern Pennsylvania; does egg production decrease with extreme heat? Today only 4 new eggs in nesting boxes we have over 24 laying hens. We used to get on average 16 eggs per day.

Here is part of my concern approximately 6 weeks ago I placed the flock on Wazine 17. I did not collect eggs for 3 weeks; naturally some hens became broody (8 hens to be exact) and with that said some also started to lay in the heavy underlying brushy areas of our property. Now we are parents to 13 more adorable barnyard mix chicks.

CHICKEN MATH!!! [​IMG]

7 born this past Easter, 13 born on Fathers Day and just about 2 weeks ago 13 more little chicks.

We still have 3 hens that are determined to remain broody. Like a crazy fool I placed one egg under each to get them to hatch hoping this will satisfy their broody tendency once the eggs hatch. My question is are my hens not producing eggs due to heat or did I potentially create a bad situation with hens hiding their eggs in the brush trying to go broody again. I’m pretty sure I found all the hiding spots, but I could be wrong a raccoon or possum could be raiding the hiding spots at night. All the hens have been returning to the coop at dusk.

I’m hoping my theory with the high heat is the correct answer?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Three factors. Heat will put a slowdown on eggs. Raising a newly hatched family & being broody will stop egg production. Be sure to check the bushes. If they lay one egg there, more than likely they'll use that spot again.

3. JPHorvath

Been checking all the spots, I had this egg hiding business happen before.

Found out that if I mess up the nest they will not return to same spot

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with your assessment about your situation. Your chickens just arnt used to the extreme heat. Our heat starts in March and sometimes doesnt end until October. The difference is that our chickens are pretty much used to the heat and humidity. Dont get me wrong, there are days that egg production drops down, but eventually gets back up where it belongs.

5. JPHorvath

Oh, and 13 chicks are not with hens they are in separate brooding pen in our house. Chicks are safer in house we can manage them better indoors. At 4 weeks we place them in separate run outside.

Darn House Chickens! [​IMG]

6. chickenhobby1

chickenhobby1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    central Mi.
    Maybe check results after the heat passes, but it does make it harder when is hide and go seek LOL ive had that problem too good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by