Probe thermometer for wiggler?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cozycritters, Mar 7, 2008.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    What thermometer works best for the water wiggler?

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, if you can get ahold of an old mercury thermometer.those work great......I found one similar at a local feed store.........it had paper on it but i just rolled the paper in a little and it is working great.............my first hatch I used a meat thermometer [​IMG] it worked fine....... just watch out for the pointy end not to break the wiggler [​IMG]

3. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Awesome! I got these great meat thermometers, but I wasn't sure they would work!

4. okiechick57

Quote:It did work for me........ but look around still for a regular one......the do make them like the old mecury ones.just hard to find , at least it was for me.....good luck [​IMG]

5. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ok! I have a hard time reading the old ones, but I'll see if I can swipe some from my MIL [​IMG]

6. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    WARNING!!!
    THE WIGGLER WILL SQUIRT THE THERM. OUT!! I LOST AN EGG THAT WAY!
    I left the lid up on my incubator when I was trying to situate the wiggler, and it shot the therm. out! Fell on a 'good' egg.... [​IMG]
    Best Wishes.

7. okiechick57

Quote:SO true.....so be careful when you place it in there........thanks parsonswife for reminding us of that !

8. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    :eek:

Thanks for warning me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by