Probiotic spray

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mpghm, Apr 16, 2016.

1. mpghm

mpghm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    Has anyone tried making (and using) probiotic sprays to keep coops cleaner and reduce smell?

I've found references to commercial products like Crisal BioMist, but i'd prefer to make my own.

2. mpghm

mpghm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    anyone?

3. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I have never heard of it. With proper ventilation and cleanliness the coop shouldn't smell much at all.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Agreed. I use dry grass clippings and leaves as a pseudo deep litter method, and a quick rake over every day and the only thing i can smell is dried grass.

CT

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I am very familiar with nanotechnology to effectively reduce AMR (Antimicrobial Resistant Microorganisms) on porous and nonporous surfaces.

Quite frankly, it is best applied in a clean environment, such as a hospital, hotel, or office building.
    It wouldn't stand a chance in a chicken coop layered, or soon to be layered in poop.

As others mentioned, proper ventilation and husbandry will eliminate most concerns naturally.

I am personally fond of filling a spray bottle with:

1 tablespoon of peppermint extract
    1 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid
    3 cups of water

I spray liberally whatever, wherever, and fairly often.

Effective bug, spider, wasp, rodent... repellent, and smells nice to me [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by