Probiotics being used as a egg spray for hatching

JRies

Crowing
Jun 7, 2019
Colorado
Was doing some early reading today. Tend to read allot of Poultry Journal stuff... Anyway they have found spraying Probiotics on hatching eggs is increasing the viability of the hatch. So I kept researching it and seems there getting some real positive results. Kind makes since since the embryo gets its calcium from the shell as it develops by a break down of CO2 allowing the absorb. Why not?. University of Connecticut published this https://today.uconn.edu/2023/12/nov...as-egg-cellent-growth-promoter-for-chickens/#

Was doing some early reading today. Tend to read allot of Poultry Journal stuff... Anyway they have found spraying Probiotics on hatching eggs is increasing the viability of the hatch. So I kept researching it and seems there getting some real positive results. Kind makes since since the embryo gets its calcium from the shell as it develops by a break down of CO2 allowing the absorb. Why not?. University of Connecticut published this https://today.uconn.edu/2023/12/nov...as-egg-cellent-growth-promoter-for-chickens/#
I absolutely love this idea and would try it myself even by putting some Hydro Hen, or something on that order, mixed with water in a sprayer.

My question is though, practically none of us backyard poultry folks wash our eggs before putting them in the incubator. Spraying this on them in their fresh from the coop stage would make everything on the egg damp. Then add the heat of the incubator, are we not inviting bacteria to fester and possibly be absorbed into the egg? I didn't see any mention of this in the article.

I absolutely love this idea and would try it myself even by putting some Hydro Hen, or something on that order, mixed with water in a sprayer.

My question is though, practically none of us backyard poultry folks wash our eggs before putting them in the incubator. Spraying this on them in their fresh from the coop stage would make everything on the egg damp. Then add the heat of the incubator, are we not inviting bacteria to fester and possibly be absorbed into the egg? I didn't see any mention of this in the article.
I love your thought, It was exciting to read and there still doing research. I wonder though Probiotics are a healthy bacteria. From what I have been reading there starting to use them to kill bad bacteria in hatching equipment and farm areas for animals.. There are allot of study's attached to this. It get mind boggling when you keep digging deeper. Please feel free to express any thoughts. I ship Day olds and if I could have them at the peak of healthy the day they hatch and ship. And of coerce which ones would you think to use?

I hatch rare breed ducks, I'd be interested in trying this if there was a way for us backyard breeders to do it correctly.
I wonder if it would help. I mist my duck eggs during incubation anyway so using a water additive would be easy. I'll read your link.

I hatch rare breed ducks, I'd be interested in trying this if there was a way for us backyard breeders to do it correctly.
I wonder if it would help. I mist my duck eggs during incubation anyway so using a water additive would be easy. I'll read your link.
What got me started on this was a research review very well written. With lots of links to other study. You have to go down to the bottom the 2 paragraphs just above the conclusion. I have been reading on nutrition and hatching ever since the pandemic when feeds seemed to change. this is the link https://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=ijps.2020.51.65

What got me started on this was a research review very well written. With lots of links to other study. You have to go down to the bottom the 2 paragraphs just above the conclusion. I have been reading on nutrition and hatching ever since the pandemic when feeds seemed to change. this is the link https://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=ijps.2020.51.65
I skimmed through it and found it very interesting. The part about it is important about the nutrition our laying hens get when it comes to having a better hatch rate and better quality chicks, I would assume most of us are aware of this. However, I was intrigued by the section on egg storage. They are saying that one could wash our eggs, removing the bloom with bleach water, but "thus such eggs intended for hatching need to be treated (with disinfectants or probiotics) to be protected against microbial and fungal infections."

This would be something I'd like to test on a batch of my backyard silkies, but I won't change anything for the genetic color breeding I'm doing in February with the fancier (vaulted/bearded) silkies.

I appreciate your posting this as although I've hatched 100s of eggs, never heard of this and I like the idea.
:goodpost:

I skimmed through it and found it very interesting. The part about it is important about the nutrition our laying hens get when it comes to having a better hatch rate and better quality chicks, I would assume most of us are aware of this. However, I was intrigued by the section on egg storage. They are saying that one could wash our eggs, removing the bloom with bleach water, but "thus such eggs intended for hatching need to be treated (with disinfectants or probiotics) to be protected against microbial and fungal infections."

This would be something I'd like to test on a batch of my backyard silkies, but I won't change anything for the genetic color breeding I'm doing in February with the fancier (vaulted/bearded) silkies.

I appreciate your posting this as although I've hatched 100s of eggs, never heard of this and I like the idea.
:goodpost:
Im right there with you. I was also intrigued about the removing bloom. But not sold on the Idea of removing the bloom. These are all study's and papers done for international poultry production and actual large hatchery's . But yes nutrition is everything and the big box feeds we have these days are fix all backyard bandage. Sorry had to say that. But in the back of my mind I dont ship my white Africans and hatch them outside of my main equipment might be interesting to check it out. Keep adding your thoughts and everyone else.

I love your thought, It was exciting to read and there still doing research. I wonder though Probiotics are a healthy bacteria. From what I have been reading there starting to use them to kill bad bacteria in hatching equipment and farm areas for animals.. There are allot of study's attached to this. It get mind boggling when you keep digging deeper. Please feel free to express any thoughts. I ship Day olds and if I could have them at the peak of healthy the day they hatch and ship. And of coerce which ones would you think to use?
I would agree, probiotics/natural gut bacteria do basically the same thing in the human body. The symbiotic bacteria living in our digestive system take up resources and space so it's unlikely any pathogens could get a foothold. You have to take probiotics after being on broad spectrum antibiotics to repopulate your digestive system or else pathogens like C. diff will be able to colonize. I imagine probiotics would do the same thing on eggs, and they'd actually be less likely to rot than untreated ones. Very neat find!!

I would agree, probiotics/natural gut bacteria do basically the same thing in the human body. The symbiotic bacteria living in our digestive system take up resources and space so it's unlikely any pathogens could get a foothold. You have to take probiotics after being on broad spectrum antibiotics to repopulate your digestive system or else pathogens like C. diff will be able to colonize. I imagine probiotics would do the same thing on eggs, and they'd actually be less likely to rot than untreated ones. Very neat find!!
Thank you. I have been searching all day and finally found the right mix with no preservatives or additives. Has to be kept refrigerated. very Pricey. Last year a allot of us talked about the unusual amount of backwards pips. Feeds dont seem to be the same quality they used to so have been doing allot of reading from institutes. This one intrigued me. I dont wash my eggs and wouldn't to do this but my girls always have clean nests. Should be interesting to try.

Back
Top Bottom