Problem in 6 week old chick.. Stumped!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by featherz, May 13, 2011.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I've got a huge brooder/barn full of chicks and only one is showing these very odd symptoms. Her new name is 'wobbles'. [​IMG]

1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Speckled Sussex, 6 weeks old.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Chick was noticed walking backwards and sitting a lot,kinda walking backwards and thumping on her back. Head was up, but not stargazing. Also appears 'itchy' for lack of a better term. NO other symptoms - no sneezing, no eye problems, no problems eating or drinking. Poop appears 100% normal. Examined the vent and other feathers and did not see any signs of lice or mites. Vent not blocked, all clean. legs appear normal.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    About three days. She seems a bit better now - walking forwards most of the time, still eating, drinking, peeping, etc. Still abruptly sits down and walks backwards and appears to be a bit twitchy and itchy. Poop still normal.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Nope, I have 30 other babies and none appear to have any problems.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Nope. Nothing. She's on pine shavings and in a brooder in our barn, which is very clean.

I've been giving her polyvisol (yes, no iron), she's on Start and Grow and seems to be having no problems eating or drinking. If I had to guess, I'd think this was neurological. I may dust her this evening just in case it's mites that I haven't found, but I see no evidence of mites or worms - they have not yet been in contact with the ground. Nor have they had contact with other chickens.
    She's improved slightly, but any thoughts? Maybe she hit her head flying around? They are practicing flying, but they are in a space about 12 feet by 12 feet.

She appears in no distress and is peeping/chirruping happy noises, not a distress peep. She is currently separated in a large cage in the house, just in case. but whatever it was doesn't seem to be affecting any others.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have nothing to offer except my good wishes.

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Maybe early wryneck? I have started adding minerals to the chick starter. Do a search under illnesses and read about wryneck. A bit of vitamin e and selenium might help. I asked at the feed store about minerals for my chickens, they thought I was nuts. I just use the same stuff I buy for the goats. Good luck, hope she is ok.

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I've got some vitamin E, I think. I will try that tonight when I get home. Very odd indeed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by