problem turkey

redneck4life27

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Northern ny
Ive had my bbb tom turkey since he was a poult in may i was supposed to butcher him in jan. I never had any problems with him around my ducks and chickens until 2 days ago. I was going to check my egg boxes for my pullets they all free range and can go outside when they want during day and get locked up at night. Well i walk into the coop and see the turkey on top of on of my rir hens and stepping on her and pecking her head and trying to mate the hen. It was already too late the time i got their half the chickens head was pecked off and the chicken was still alive so i had to dispatch the chicken. What should i do? Ive never had a problem like this b4 he is the only turkey left i killed the other tom i had for thanksgiving. Hes never been aggressive towards any animal or people. What is the behavior from i hate to have him kill my chickens. any advice would be appriciated

He is wanting to breed. It's nature. He needs a girlfriend. If he doesn't get a turkey girlfriend, this behavior will continue and he will probably kill more chickens in an attempt to breed with the chickens. As bad as it sounds, you can't blame him. He is only doing what he knows to do. He needs a turkey girlfriend or he needs to be dinner. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom