problem with 2 broody chickens... advice needed!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by teresa-78, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    For the past 11 days my bantam has been sitting on eggs..... everything going great until this morning...

another chicken has also decided to go broody... she waited until my bantam left the nest box to eat and drink, which
    she does every morning.. and took over her eggs, and wont let her back on..... do I remove the new broody so the bantam can
    re sit or do I leave her on the stolen nest.... or another option do I go buy some more fertile eggs and let her sit her own??

Im concerned if I take her off the eggs and put her on some new ones she may just leave them, and as the other eggs only have 10
    days left its far to late to put newly brought eggs under the bantam!!! any ideas what I should do.... im worried if i interver they may both leave the nest and the
    eggs will go cold and the chicks will die????

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I would take the 'thief' off the eggs and let your bantam go back.

If you want the other hen to hatch eggs and do not have any fertile eggs, give her some golf balls or stones until you can acquire some,

good luck,

sandie

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by