Problem with Broody

Rammy

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Tennessee
Ok, Ive posted before about my hen going broody but the problem now seems to be she cant decide what nest to stay broody on. For a few days, she would be in the third nest box, then she moved to the first, stayed there about three or four days. Today she was moved to the third one again. So I took her and the eggs and put her in the fourth box figuring that the hens were bothering her in the first box since its the favorite to lay in and she stayed there for a day. I came home and shes back in the first box. I picked her up and put her back in the fourth one on the eggs she had been sitting on and so far she is still there.
I tried moving her to a tractor so she wouldnt be bothered by the hens but she hated that so I let her go back to the coop. Now she keeps moving. I thought about putting her in a large kennel cab in the coop but Im not sure if she would go for that or not since she didnt like being moved to the tractor. Should I just let her be and put her back in the box I want her in if and when she moves again? Or just let her stay in the first box if she goes back there and put the eggs under her again there? This is my first broody and I dont want to break her of it by moving her constantly or disturbing her. Not yet, anyway.
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on what to do?

Rammy

I isolate my broodies in a large (german shepherd sized) crate in the coop. For the first couple of days I keep the door on the crate locked - to keep the hen from switching boxes and so that the others don't disturb her while she settles in. Then she's free to come and go throughout the duration. Towards the end, day 17 or so, I lock the door again - to protect any chicks that hatch and again to keep the other birds from bothering her during a critical time.

It's worked five times so far. She may or may not fuss when you first move her to the locked crate, but if she's serious about being broody she'll stay put. Move her at night.

Quote:
Smart move, not listening to Impy. He's full on spit and vinegar, short on substance.
lol.png

Glad to hear she's settling in! I do a broody like Grits does, in the coop.

I got a good sized wire rabbit cage and covered it with hardware cloth. We have snakes by the ton here, so the hardware cloth is to keep them out. What's really good about all wire is that she and the chicks get good air circulation and the other birds are able to mingle yet not mess with her or the chicks. AND she doesn't have access to eggs if she decides she wants to steal more!

Happy hatching!
jumpy.gif

I'm not going to comment about the Imp remarks.......

lau.gif

Quote:
Rammy, if sourland shows up in here, you will be suddenly overrun with Gypsy Broodies- and I'm already here, so guess what????
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom