Problem with chick...umbilical cord?

Oh and I used a hova-bator forced air incubator (Styrofoam) for this! Sorry someone asked above and I never answered.

Sorry to hear the chick didn't make it
1f62a.png
Take my hat off to you for ending it's suffering, your Class has a very caring teacher. They are learning about the Circle of Life. Best wishes with the rest and yes, you did great for a first hatch.
I had asked about the brand of incubator, thanks for the info. I purchase "day old" chicks from the feed store or CL but thought it would be fun to hatch some. I've got so much more reading to do before I decide I'd want do it.

Final Update: chick did not make it, he was peeping like crazy with the bandage on (long, sustained peeps) and seemed extremely uncomfortable. Upon removing the bandages I saw that the intestines had come out even more and there was some bleeding so I made the decision to cull (broke his neck so it was quick)
hit.gif
still feeling pretty good about coming out of this with 11 chicks out of 12 eggs!
Awe. Sorry to hear it. I was hoping that wasn't what it was, but that's pretty much a death sentence in itself. I'm surprised it made it as long as it did. You did a good job. That's great especially for a first hatch and it still counts as a 100% hatch rate. They all hatched.

Oh and I used a hova-bator forced air incubator (Styrofoam) for this! Sorry someone asked above and I never answered.
Hovabator is the only styro that I would recommend. For the price and how well it works, it's definitely a nice mid range incubator. Especially the 1588 and 1583 with the picture window.

Back
Top Bottom