Problem with racoons, are they going after the feed or my RIR Hen

Bock_Bock

Songster
11 Years
Dec 13, 2008
Hayward, Ca
i use to have her set up outside my window and one night i woke up to a weird noise she was making i look out my window and see her cuddled up behind her little cage/house thats inside her pic and then i look to the other side where some food was and by golly there was a big ol racoon. Wull they my chicken or will they just try to scavenge as much of the feed as they can? any ideas?

The raccoon is after your chicken, not the food. Make sure her pen is secure - racoons can reach their hands in right through chicken wire and kill the chickens.

welcome-byc.gif

Raccoons WILL get your chicken if there's a way they can get in to where she is. They are not happy with just scavenging leftover grain if there's fresh meat to be had.
Make sure her coop is secure and above all, get rid of that coon!
There are many, many great coops on BYC's member's pages and you can also do a search that will give you ideas on making a secure coop for your sweet hen.
I'd also try to make it where any food she has not be out to entice other predators into the pen by either locking it inside with her at night or taking it up and putting back out in the morning.

After both , coons love chicken,and eggs.

Trap and kill the coon, they will find away into any pen. Most State you can trap them. Here you must kill them, cant relocate them.

Coons are probably as high if not higher than stray and pet dogs in killing chickens.

Coons will tear through chicken wire to get a bird, yank them out piece by piece through chain link, and easily decimate an entire flock in one night. They can learn to open latch doors and will keep coming back to get every last bird they can. They climb, they dig, and have crafty paws.

Best rid of that coon before you lose your hen.

ok i will be sure to watch out, also as i was walking out my house today to go pick up new basking light and holder for my 2 new chicks sitting on my fence was a hawk its getting scary now

I've had a coon drag my chicken down the inside of a chainlink pen. It almost ruined the chainlink. Either fortify your pens or get a GOOD dog.

fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom