Problem with racoons, are they going after the feed or my RIR Hen

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bock_Bock, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i use to have her set up outside my window and one night i woke up to a weird noise she was making i look out my window and see her cuddled up behind her little cage/house thats inside her pic and then i look to the other side where some food was and by golly there was a big ol racoon. Wull they my chicken or will they just try to scavenge as much of the feed as they can? any ideas?

2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    The raccoon is after your chicken, not the food. Make sure her pen is secure - racoons can reach their hands in right through chicken wire and kill the chickens.

3. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    [​IMG]

Raccoons WILL get your chicken if there's a way they can get in to where she is. They are not happy with just scavenging leftover grain if there's fresh meat to be had.
    Make sure her coop is secure and above all, get rid of that coon!
    There are many, many great coops on BYC's member's pages and you can also do a search that will give you ideas on making a secure coop for your sweet hen.
    I'd also try to make it where any food she has not be out to entice other predators into the pen by either locking it inside with her at night or taking it up and putting back out in the morning.

4. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Certainly after the hen. I've lost a duck and 20 chicks/hens to them this year. They travel in groups, so you've probably got more than one coming around.

I have to lock mine up every night, then let them out the next morning. It's a pain to do, but the only way to keep them safe.

Check out the nasty critters I've killed this year: http://www.countrychickens.com/country_chickens_4_006.htm

Kathy
    in Texas

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    After both , coons love chicken,and eggs.

Trap and kill the coon, they will find away into any pen. Most State you can trap them. Here you must kill them, cant relocate them.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Coons are probably as high if not higher than stray and pet dogs in killing chickens.

Coons will tear through chicken wire to get a bird, yank them out piece by piece through chain link, and easily decimate an entire flock in one night. They can learn to open latch doors and will keep coming back to get every last bird they can. They climb, they dig, and have crafty paws.

Best rid of that coon before you lose your hen.

7. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok i will be sure to watch out, also as i was walking out my house today to go pick up new basking light and holder for my 2 new chicks sitting on my fence was a hawk its getting scary now

8. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    If the coon doesn't get them, the hawk will. It's very difficult to protect chickens. Good luck, and keep that shotgun loaded.

9. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    I've had a coon drag my chicken down the inside of a chainlink pen. It almost ruined the chainlink. Either fortify your pens or get a GOOD dog.

[​IMG]

10. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I've had a coon drag my chicken down the inside of a chainlink pen.

[​IMG]
    I was clueless these cute animals eat chickens ALIVE![​IMG] Are skunks a threat?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by