PRoblem with whining chickens

Or the other option is to build them a run. Closed in mesh / cloth area about 5x times size of coop. Gives enough outside space to get some exercise and reduce boredom.

Sorry I see there is a run for someone. If it is predator proof then yes open the door early. A well built run doesn't need to be shut off at night

I am having this issue right now. I restricted their ranging to only for thirty min in the morning when I am cleaning their poop boards filling waters, food, and cleaning the run. I leave pans of water out durning the heat as well. Then I call them
In for driedeal worms and they come easily. Then that's the only time they get treats. In the evening I let them out for 30 to 45 min to roam and then give them treats to come back in the run before dusk. It maybe be more meal worms or yogurt and berries. It seems like this has trained them to understand they only get treats to come back in ad can only range at those times
I wasn't on a routine with them before. I think chickens seem to like routine.

So here's an update on the whining chickens problem:
I did a few days of experimenting on letting them free range MORE often, and found that this did not solve the whining issue -- it stayed the same or made it worse. As soon as they were put back in the pen after free ranging, they began to whine again.
So then I took the opposite course and stopped letting them have any free ranging. THis was my preference too, as during their recent free ranging they have destroyed a couple plants in the garden either by eating them or by digging all around the plant to the point where the whole plant was dug up and torn to pieces. AFter a couple weeks of no free ranging there was much less whining. Now they are no longer whining during the day when there is no one around. They still whine if they see a person, but generally not when they are left alone, so at least that has gotten better.

So here's an update on the whining chickens problem:
I did a few days of experimenting on letting them free range MORE often, and found that this did not solve the whining issue -- it stayed the same or made it worse. As soon as they were put back in the pen after free ranging, they began to whine again.
So then I took the opposite course and stopped letting them have any free ranging. THis was my preference too, as during their recent free ranging they have destroyed a couple plants in the garden either by eating them or by digging all around the plant to the point where the whole plant was dug up and torn to pieces. AFter a couple weeks of no free ranging there was much less whining. Now they are no longer whining during the day when there is no one around. They still whine if they see a person, but generally not when they are left alone, so at least that has gotten better.
There ya go!! Thanks for the followup.

My birds had gotten used to getting snacks from me whenever they saw me enter the yard. I started just walking up to their pen and talking to them, but not giving them anything and they seem to be a little less expectant.

I am having this problem right now but it's only with one hen. I have a mixed flock of 1 Marans, 2 BLR Wyandottes, 1 CCL, 1 Marans/ameracauna olive egger, and 3 silkies. They have a 150 square foot run, plenty of good food and clean water, logs to climb on and bushes to hide in and 3 nest boxes. They used to free range all the time in my yard but now that we are landscaping it those days are over. I can't have everybody out scratching bark out of planters and eating my new plants. Everyone adjusted well except my olive egger, Emma. She whines pretty much non stop all day long from dawn until they go to roost at night. I have tried restricting treats, squirting with the hose, locking her up in solitary for a day or two, and letting them out for just a couple hours in the evening. Nothing makes it better. I'm amazed she hasn't lost her voice from all the whining. It's a loud "caaaaw, awwww, awww, aww" over and over again all day. I am on the verge of rehoming her because she frustrates me so much but that's a last resort. It's definitely gets more demanding if she sees someone outside which makes our new yard unpleasant to be out in. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Some chickens are just more vocal than others. I don't feed treats, my chickens free range and have plenty of fresh food and water. Nothing to complain about. Yet I have one hen that is forever vocalizing. Kind of the same sounds you described (if I am reading the right tone :) ) I rather enjoy listening to her jabbering away. I'd say if your chicken's normal sounds bother you, do her a favor and find her.a home where she can be herself without getting sprayed by a hose for doing so.

I have/had a few that just start yakking all day......then they stop<shrugs>.......sometimes it's annoying, sometimes it's funny.
It's just what they do.

Except it's not just her normal sound. The only time she is quiet is when she's eating or laying an egg or dust bathing. She spends the rest of her day standing by the door looking out yelling

Back
Top Bottom