problem yolks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chix, May 13, 2007.

1. chix

chix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    lately my hens lay eggs with yolks that break very easily and they are kind of flatish (compared to normal). i am not doing anything differnt. they have a healthy well balanced diet including egg layer, cracked corn, calcium and lots of fruits and veggies. does anyone know what is cauing these weak yolks? i'm worried.

2. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they? If they're past their prime it could be just one of those things!

3. chix

chix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Quote:they are just a year old. what do you think? i thought they are supposed to be at their prime for two years and then quality goes down?

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    If you're feeding too many treats (veggies, fruits, corn) you could be lowering their protein level too much. Try cutting back on treats for a while and see if that helps. Also make sure they have plenty of fresh water available at all times.

5. chrissieg

apologies, all my chickens are past their 'best before date' as they are rescued ex-farm chickens! [​IMG]

6. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
  7. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Quote:Battery Hen Welfare Trust? Brilliant people [​IMG]

8. chrissieg

Battery Hen Welfare Trust? Brilliant people

Not quite althought they are just a couple of miles from me! Mine are from a 'free range' farm with 2000 odd birds per shed!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by