Problem: Young Drake attacks older Drake

saminpc

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
I adopted a young muscovy Drake from a family that had raised it from a duckling. He is now a year old and very aggressive. I have olnly had him since March, but I decided to get him a friend to keep him company. I then adopted another Muscovy Drake which is older. The younger Drake attacks the older Drake so that I keep them separated. The younger one stays in the chicken run with the chickens in the day and at night the chickens go into the coop and are shut up. The older drake stays in a separate pen so he doesn't get in a fight. Is it possible that one day the two Drakes will be able to ge along or am I wishful thinking. I would like to be able to let them both out of the chicken run to free range the yard. The yard is fenced in around several acres. Thanks for any help solving this problem
sad.png

The younger drake is trying to defend his territory..Even with no female present - the boys will still try try to fight for dominance.

How long have you had the older drake??

Thanks duckyfromoz for reading my post(problem). I have had the older Drake for 3 weeks now. He is a calm fellow and is not aggressive. The younger one stays in the chicken yard and doesn't bother my hens but likes to chase the rooster at times. He likes to pull tail feathers. Will he out grow being so aggressive. He even has gotten after me/ and my large lab. He chased several little dogs out of the gate to the yard and into the neighbors yard. Had to go get him, he's something else. But I do want to be able to let him and the older one out into the yard for the daytime.Any advice, the younger one has angel wings too. I guess I feel sorry for him and want to try all I can for things to be normal for him. Thanks again for all advice.

I would suggest that having some female duck company would be the best thing to settle him down. But since you have two drakes now -the number of ducks you could safely have with them would be at least 4. Being that he is still fairly young he may settle down again in time- but it is most likely hormones that are leading him to act in the ways that he is. Asserting your dominance over him would be a good way to start trying to settle him down. If you goes after you either turn him over on his back - if he cant get back over again after a minute or two put him back up the right way- Or you can pick him up and carry him under your arm- or upside down in your arms if you can manage it. It will teach him that you are the dominant one and not to be messed with.

Thanks for all the advice. I also have 3mallard ducks and 2 Khaki ducks that were hatched this Spring and I believe they are all female. How old would they need to be before they could be socialized with my muscovy ducks. When I can bring them all together then maybe the young Drake will settle down. What does everyone think? I really do appreciate your helping me solve my problem, I never realized keeping ducks could get to be a problem as this. Thanks again.

When I am introducing a new flock to mine, I always make sure that hey have LOTS of room to run just incase anything happens. I have one very dominant male in particular and he ALWAYS has an issue with newcomers. I keep a close eye on him, only leaving them out for short periods of time. Long enough for them to intereact but not too long that they start fighting.
With my agressive drake, I have found that if he chases me or any of my other ducks, GENTLY holding his bill closed normally puts him in his place. If this doesn't work I pick him up and hold him for awhile. For some reason once they feel like they no longer have the upper hand, they back off. Just make sure that if they start getting agressive that you seperate them quickly to avoid injuries.
I normally wait until the new flock is old enough to fly...that way they have a better chance at getting away if something does happen.
It takes patience...it will happen!
smile.png

One of my female ducks was a jerk the other day. She was chasing the young ones around. I took the garden hose and shot water at her. After a while she figured that I would shoot at her when I was raising the hose and she backed off without getting wet. I found out that a watering bottle and even a water pistol works with her. You shoot her twice and she gives up for the rest of the day.

Wow, Thanks all who replied to my post. I feel alot better. I was beginning to feel like I could not provide a good home for my young aggressive Drake. I plan to try to be patient and let him interact with the other ducks. I don't feel the young ducks are safe to be left alone so I will chaperon. Thanks again all for advice. I am so glad I found this forum and everyone is so helpful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom