Problem

bernie2703

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2015
I got two new hens and they are red and brown mixed.the hens that I got already is one is white and the other black.i had the the white one first then the black one but the white one kept pecking the black one but they stop already.but they were not big pecks.but the black one is now pecking the red mixed with brown hens but she is going overboard and is holding on to the feathers on the brown and red hens head.and lots of feathers on the hens head is being take off by the black hen.i got a rooster with them but the rooster does nothing.how do i stop this.also the brown and red hens are just on the nesting box laying down when the rooster and the other two hens are in the coop.so I put the brown and red hen in a diffrent coop.and they get out for a while.are my hens broody?please answer my question thanks

Chickens see in colour.
I had five red hens that were hatched and raised with my other hens. From day one the red chicks pecked my other colored chicks but not each other. At four months old I had to sell the reds because my Barred rock was totally bald on her back and her tail.
Do your new hens have crests or different feathers besides the different color?
Put some Stop pick on the hens head as long as they aren't injured. Its cayenne pepper based. I use it if I notice any bad pecking.

. This is the hen that's pecking my new hens

If its pecking order thing and you keep seperating them when you reintroduce them it just start it all over agina just moniter the pecking. And you could take the bully out and have the new girls with the flock to change the pecking order and once they are buddys with the other girls reintroduce the bully and thing should be different.

If its pecking order thing and you keep seperating them when you reintroduce them it just start it all over agina just moniter the pecking. And you could take the bully out and have the new girls with the flock to change the pecking order and once they are buddys with the other girls reintroduce the bully and thing should be different.

I agree with taking out the bully hen for a week. Shake things up to make the introduction easier. The bully gone will speed up introduction and then when she is reintroduced she's not automatically in her same pecking order rather will have to deal with all the birds to find her place.

Back
Top Bottom