Problems laying first egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MartiHope, Aug 22, 2016.

1. MartiHope

MartiHope Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    I have 4 plymouth rock (2 buff and 2 white). They were born March 23, 2016. I am first time chicken owner. Surprisingly, they at least 2 of them for sure) have started laying (first egg Aug 11) and have been providing almost an egg a day each. Everything is going fine with 2 of them, but yesterday one of the buffs ran to nest box and was in there along time. SHe was making a sound she has never made and scratching and turning in nest box. THen she would come out for a minute or so and run back up into nest box. she'd do it all again. Went on all day. She never layer an egg.

Today she is very agitated and has been in the nest box since 5 am crying out. Not the same sound the others make after laying. She sounds awful. And it is so loud. What should I do? Should I worry?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Is she one that already has been laying? Sounds to me like first timer activity. They aren't used to the feelings and sensations, I have a feeling they get something similar to cramps sometimes. She could be feeling an egg in her that isn't ready to be laid yet.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Does sound like first time layer...
    .....unless you're sure she has laid before, then you might want to take a look at her vent and abdomen.

4. LuvMyHens2016

LuvMyHens2016 New Egg

Jul 25, 2016
    2 if my girls were acting the same way this morning! Got 2 eggs! It was their first time as well... Yay for eggs!!

5. MartiHope

MartiHope Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    Thank you! You all are correct. She finally laid an egg. So relieved!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by