Problems plucking Lav Orps.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Azriel, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I processed 17 young roos this past weekend, all were 18 weeks and younger. The production reds, SLW, and Black Orp x's plucked out with very nice white skin. The EE's skin was more yellow, and they were rather fat. The Lav Orps were about 14 weeks, and very large, but they were horrible to pluck. I'm hand pucking, and the feathers came out OK, but there was like a dye or something in the feather shafts, and as they were being plucked it was smearing all over the bird and made most of the skin look black, and it woudn't wash off with just cold water. They realy look bad, and it was late by the time I finished, and I've been working the last 2 days, so they have been resting in the fridge. I want to package and get them in the freezer tomorrow. What can I do to get that black dye stuff off the skin.
    Has any one else had that problem with the Lavender birds?

2. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Just curious are you scalding them in water first?

3. Azriel

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Yes, they were scalded (sp?) first, the feathers came out fine, just this incky dye like stuff turned the skin black. Some washed off, but they still look bad.

4. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    After you plucked, did you put the birds in an icewater chest? If so - did you add salt? If you did all of those things - I wonder if a little white vinegar would help.

5. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    I've heard that before about that breed. I guess you could skin them. I don't suppose you could post pics of them. I have a batch of DP roosters coming up, and I love to know what results to expect.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I occasionally have a feather on a turkey do that. It's like ink.

Seriously, it is not something that will hurt you in the least to eat it. Just clean the bird up the best you can and go ahead and roast it. I've never seen any black after it is cooked.

I think it is the age. The feathers contain blood as they are formed and then as the feather develops, it becomes simply hollow. You've butchered before the feather shaft is hollow is all.

If you don't like the way the bird dresses, don't raise any more of that breed. But I think you will find that is just fine after it is cooked.

7. Azriel

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    OK, I got them all washed up and in the freezer. I washed them in warm water with a bit of vinager in it. They cleaned up better, but still not as nice as the other ones, and some of the skin got ripped a bit. I make a great roasted Teriyaki chicken, I guess I'll use them for that. Was 14 weeks too young? They dressed out just over 4.5#.

8. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:That's a great dressed weight for a 14 week old DP breed, and there was no reason to wait longer unless you just have to have a bigger bird. Personally, I understand your repulsion of the appearance after plucking, but don't believe you would have seen anything of the staining after cooking, so wouldn't do it myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by