Problems with Automatic Door motor

Comet Mum

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 29, 2008
Oxford, NC
I installed Add-a-Motor Model D20 automatic pop door openers on my chicken and guinea coops this spring. They were GREAT! In addition to the nipple waterer and automatic feeders, they essentially "automated" chicken keeping and meant we could go out of town and only have a chicken sitter every few days, rather than twice daily. Unfortunately, the guinea's motor actuator failed, causing the motor to continue to run, resulting in the hook holding the door to be straightened, which caused the door to fall and stay closed. I returned the motor under warranty and they promptly fixed it and returned it free of charge. So, I really don't have a problem with the company's customer service.

Unfortunately today, the same thing happened in my chicken coop.
sad.png
We are getting ready to leave town for vacation next week. I'll put the repaired motor on the chicken coop and leave the guineas to free range, or locked in their coop, while we are gone. So, I have a plan for the immediate problem.

My questions are: has anyone else had trouble with this motor's actuators failing? We had a brief power failure last night, do you think that had anything to do with it? Any suggestions, baring replacing the door mechanism with another type of auto-door?

Thanks for your ideas.

Wow Comet Mum!

I've had my motor installed for a couple months now, and have not had even a hic-up. I am happy to hear that if I should (God forbid!) that Addamotor will take care of the motor. Hopefully you have not had any more issues. I bought mine because I read a lot of posts on this forum and others where people REALLY LIKED this motor.
woot.gif
I heard some gripes about the Foys one, and of course the cost.
tongue.gif
But never did I read anything where this motor failed. I did all my research and found the lowest cost motor too.

If anyone is interested, the best place to buy it is from Discount Automation. http://www.discounthomeautomation.com/Add-A-Motor-Chicken-Coop-Motor-AAD20 They don't have a phone number (hmmm) but they are quick to respond to email. I made sure they were in stock and guaranteed the price. $89.33!!!
ep.gif
I was shocked to see it below Addamotor's own price. How do they make money?
idunno.gif

Anyhow,

I hope everything is better now. I know it's a "trust thing" now.
fl.gif
I'll be sure to keep an eye out.

Erin

Oh, BTW, I read in this forum somewhere that you cannot use the Curtain Motor. I guess people used to use it before the Chicken motor. If there is a problem they won't take it back if there's feathers in it. I wonder if I used the chicken motor on my curtains if they would deny me should there be carpet fiber in it! HA HA HA
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
Green eggs, thanks for your reply. I am glad you like your auto-door. After several days of trying to get everything re-calibrated, I think I finally have it all synchronized and working properly. I had a silkie that was sleeping behind the door, and I think she may have caused the problem. I actually found that the second motor wasn't broken like I thought, but the hook on the door was straightened out causing the door to fall. I think everything should be fine now that I have blocked access to the door area
fl.gif

I haven't reinstalled the other motor because my CRAZY guineas are roosting on top of the run, rather than inside their coop.
barnie.gif
silly birds!

Back
Top Bottom