Problems with fresh eggs into deviled eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by L&Schickens, Jul 21, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Every time I make deviled eggs with fresh eggs, at least half the white part of the egg sticks to the shell and is lost. Is there a secret to boiling the fresh eggs so they turn out perfect like the old store bought eggs?

2. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    poke a hole in the end of the egg and put lots of salt in the water

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    use eggs that aren't as fresh. there is more air space in the egg and it makes it easier to peel. here's to good peeling!

4. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I don't really have any "old" eggs and I want to make them on Thursday when my brother's family come up from CA.
    I will try the hole in the egg method, but how does it not fill up with water?

5. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    I do not put a hole in the egg, just lots of salt in the water. Put them on in cold water, bring to a boil and then put a lid on and turn off the heat. Let them sit for 10 minutes, then drain and dunk in ice water. Crack the shells and put back in the cold water. Then they peel really well.

6. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Thank you Blossom. That sounds good.

7. Stephen in SoKY

Stephen in SoKY Chillin' With My Peeps

Leaving them out of the fridge from now til cooking on thursday will also help.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Fresh eggs are hard to peel. It is best to let the eggs sit about 1-2 weeks before you use them for hardboiled eggs.

9. coondog74017

coondog74017 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    try letting the set in the refrig for a hour or two before you try to peel them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by