Problems with GQF thermometer that comes with Hovabator??

I got the one sold by incubator warehouse a digital and it's been ok. Though now it's running low last time it was high, but that's happened before and things worked out fine. You gotta trust your thermometer or it's makes no sense to have one in there. Plus the instructions say to trust the incubator. Do a test hatch and so far mine have been acceptable.

Sometimes I think folks blame the incubator instead of other things. Health of the eggs, age of hen, breed and cross problems like genetics, or inexperience with your particular incubator. I think they're like a car you gotta get used to it's particular quirks.

Now once again I will offer the article from Practical Poultry. I can send it by e-mail or at least try again. I e-mailed it to someone once and they were so grateful (not!) that they didn't reply to tell me if they got it alright. Or I can fax it from home if you have a fax set up with your printer. I have long distance so it's no big deal if your in Timbucktoo. Well in the states anyhow.

Folks now you know I love you but if your having problems it's really worth reading. I know it helped me.

Rancher

Quote:
Some of what you say really doesn't make sense, if you have a wafer in you incubator you can't just plug in and go, you need to adjust the temp, plus I have a sportsman now and the temp in the 'bator all so go's by what the temp is in the room it's in, I have been incubating for 6 years, I really do not need a basic read article for my hatch, yes test hatches are important, yes quality of the eggs, quality of the parents, time of the year, plus a hundred other things, hatching is a crap shoot and if that's not good enough don't hatch, you will always be disappointed, plus most of the incubators tell you replace the thermonter, that type can be off by degrees...rant over

Im glad i found this link.. But im still super concerned. 2 weeks ago i posted about having problems deciding which thermometer to trust

DSCN2173.JPG

People told me to trust the one that came with it, so i did. So now i have not 10, 24, 48, but 84 EGGS IN JEOPARDY.. These are also not baryard mixes, but expensive varieties (mostly BLRW) from expensive hatcheries or farms.. I have about $100 worth of eggs in my bators, and i have been using my GQF thermometers for my accurate temperature readers.. I purchased 2 thermometer/hygrometer's from incubator warehouse and put them inside as well. They consistently read 93.5 degrees (in both incubators), and the factory GQF Thermometers read 101 degrees in both incubators. I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH ONES TO TRUST, AND HAVE TONS OF EGGS ON THE LINE... My question is.. Why the hell would GQF send me thermometers that were so inaccurate if the point of this whole process is to be as PRECISE and CONSISTENT as possible (incubator warehouse for that matter too)!!! I dont know what to trust anymore, and am starting to think that these HOVABATORS are a bad buy. I need something that is going to provide ACCURATE TEMPERATURE AND HUMIDITY ALL THE TIME!!! I seriously just lost 48 eggs (barnevelders and BLRW) to temperature/humidity related issues with my incubators, and now i just dont know what to do. I am a very meticulous person, and attention to detail is something i follow to a T. However; despite all my efforts, i cannot get results.. This is so frustrating!!!!! I HATE HATCHING EGGS NOW if i lose all these eggs im just going to sell all my chickens and start breaking these worthless incubators. You guys have NO IDEA how much time/energy/effort is being wasted on this process, and not a single person can give me conclusive results. As someone stated before "if you cannot trust your thermometer, what is the point of having one in there for?"

SO WHICH ONES DO I TRUST?

Or can someone provide a link of the most accurate thermometer on the planet?

he.gif
he.gif

19130_thermo.jpg

Culter Supply, this is the best one and it for incubators, I have 2, one of the Mods uses it too, I will never go back to any other, the reason i have 2 is my kids lost the first one for a while

for humidity i put a dial reptile one right in the 'bator, it stick in, just don't get it wet, you will have to replace it, i washed mie once I had it stuck to the humidty water tray

Last edited:
It is IMPERATIVE that you test your thermometers BEFORE you trust them to hatch. I use two in every incubator and hatcher just in case one goes bad. And as stated, the GQF thermometer that comes with the incubator is a crappy one.

I went out of my way to buy a GQF thermometer because I though it would be better than the thermometer that came with the el cheapo LG 9200. WRONG!!! Come to find out the GQF thermometer was three degrees off, and the Brower was only 1/2 degree off. I was SO mad!!! How can companies sell incorrect thermometers made specifically for incubation where every 1/2 degree matters?!?!
rant.gif

Quote:
I know right!! I dont want to continue to rant, but if companies are taking our hard earned money, offering some quality assurance like "We have GREAT success stories with our bators", or "Our bators are some of the best on the market" then i would expect results.. At least SOME results.. So yeah, kinda made me mad.. Now im starting to realize i will NEVER be as good as my momma hen is (cant beat nature, lol).. Thought i thought..

Have a great holiday all
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom