Problems with Omlet

Sep 16, 2021
San Ramon, CA
I have an Eglu Go coop and there's multiple problems with it. I don't think anyone else has these same problems. Could there be something we do different?

First of all, the width of the "roosts" is too wide. My chickens usually poop on the roost, and then they step on it and it gets smeared everywhere.
Second, they find it very enjoyable to kick the bedding out of the "nesting box" so there's nowhere to lay eggs.
My hens also lay eggs at like 4 a.m. in the morning, like they can't hold it in or something? Since there's no bedding to lay the eggs on (they scratched it out earlier) they end up laying eggs in the poop, and when I open up the coop in the morning there's usually an egg covered in dried poop that has to be washed. Sometimes, if they lay next to the door the egg rolls out in the morning and gets stuck in the run.
I don't know. Maybe it's just my chickens are messy, but it's very unappealing to open up the coop door every morning to breathe in a very foul smell and see cecal poop smeared all over the walls, door, floor, ceiling, and their feet.

I hope you are exaggerating when you say they smear poop on the ceiling, door and walls. Every so often one of my birds makes a poo on one of the bars, but thankfully they haven't stepped on it so it is an easy clean. Most of the poo lands underneath where it is supposed to. The "roosts" are a bit wide but not terribly. Do you have smaller breeds or are they still very young?

My birds just LOVE kicking the bedding out of the nesting box. One in particular will make a point of running in as soon as I put the shavings in to spin and scratch and kick until there are hardly any left. So I quit trying. Thankfully I have 4 coops, 2 of they use for sleep, 1 that they have designated the nesting coop, and 1 they don't even look at. So my eggs stay nice and clean.

I have never on the worst day had to clean the doors, walls or ceilings though.

Out of curiosity, what breed(s)? How many are in there? I have 3 Orpingtons about the same age that share one, and 4 EEs and 3 Bielefelders (15 weeks) that for some reason all share another, despite having extra coops open. I come home from work and they're all huddled in. I've tried to move some of them to an empty coop, but as soon as I do the others follow. So hey, whatever makes them happy. Point is, both the coop with only 3 birds and the one with 7 have NEVER had poop on any part of the walls. Super curious what your birds are doing in there...

There's 5 but they're all half the size of a normal hen, though apparently they're not bantams? 1 Delaware, 1 Speckled Sussex, 2 White leghorn hens and 1 white leghorn rooster. They're all 7 months. Whenever I open up the back door though, they all stand up and act really innocent so honestly I have no idea what they do in there XD.

The impish ones always have the best innocent act. 🤣
Good luck with them - hopefully they'll learn to at least keep their poo on the floor. 😆

The impish ones always have the best innocent act. 🤣
Good luck with them - hopefully they'll learn to at least keep their poo on the floor. 😆
I know I have one hen (maybe 2 or 3) who all think they live in the house so you’ll forget to shut the door and come inside later to find one of them wondering around upstairs and another laying eggs in the kitchen 😂
They always act so innocent to like they’re not doing anything there not supposed to 😂

Back
Top Bottom